Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 23, 2007June 23rd, 2007, 2:15 pm EDT
For those who don't already know, I'll be out of touch (and not modifying the site much) for a while because I'm moving to Fairbanks, Alaska tomorrow to start grad school (fisheries M.S. program at UAF). I will keep the site running throughout grad school, of course, but updates will come more slowly since I won't have as much time. They should be pretty cool, though -- great scenery and some western bugs I don't have yet.

My plane leaves at 9:15, and about 15 hours later I touch down in Fairbanks. I'm doing mostly business stuff for a few days with my dad, who's coming up to help me get settled, and then we'll be doing some fishing for about a week before I start work. Grayling on the Chena, pike in the Minto Flats, and salmon on the Gulkana River are all on the schedule... it's going to be fun!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jun 23, 2007June 23rd, 2007, 3:18 pm EDT
Hey, have a great and safe trip! I am looking forward to all your great photos from Alaska! TroutNut.com looks greats and really doesn't need any mods, so go enjoy your time in Alaska.
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 27, 2007June 27th, 2007, 6:27 pm EDT
Well, United Airlines drove me crazy by losing all my luggage for 2 days. They did something horribly incompetent to lose it, too, but at least I finally got it back. Otherwise things are going well up here, but I don't have much forum time. I just got Internet access.

The weather up here in Fairbanks is awesome in the summer.

I haven't been fishing yet, but should go Saturday at the latest and hopefully Friday.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jun 27, 2007June 27th, 2007, 11:13 pm EDT
Jason, glad to hear you made it safely and you recovered your luggage. You should make a separate Alaskan forum to use sort of like a blog.

Go catch some fish!
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 28, 2007June 28th, 2007, 2:03 am EDT
Glad the trip went well in the end. Caught a few on the J last weekend with Shawn and his brother. May head up to the West Branch this weekend. Let us know how the fishing is in Alaska.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 28, 2007June 28th, 2007, 10:03 am EDT
Jason-

Sounds like luggage handling for connecting flight in Anchorage remains pretty much the same. If so, here's the way it works. Your luggage will often follow you to the next destination, sometimes only one or two flights later, and more or less automatically.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 28, 2007June 28th, 2007, 10:56 am EDT
The problem was more ridiculous than that, actually. When I first checked in, they only marked my bags to go TO Anchorage as their final destination. United also only gave me boarding passes up to Anchorage, and said I would have to get a new one at the gate there because of the switch to Alaska Airlines there, which was not a problem. They neglected to mention that my luggage was scheduled to stop in Anchorage even though my ticket was to Fairbanks. That would have been an awfully handy thing for them to mention.

It would certainly beat the reaction I got: "Oh? You wanted us to send your luggage to the same place you're going? How strange!"
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jun 28, 2007June 28th, 2007, 11:53 am EDT
Why do you have to be so difficult, Jason? What use would you really have for clothes, camera equipment, and flyrods in Alaska, anyway?

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 28, 2007June 28th, 2007, 1:29 pm EDT
Jason-

It would certainly beat the reaction I got: "Oh? You wanted us to send your luggage to the same place you're going? How strange!"

Yeah, that's sick, but I'll bet those bad memories will be quickly displaced once you get your line in the water.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 28, 2007June 28th, 2007, 5:50 pm EDT
What use would you really have for clothes, camera equipment, and flyrods in Alaska, anyway?

I don't know! All we've been doing so far is business -- trying to buy a condo, etc. Not much use for cameras or fly rods yet. I'm going to try to change that ASAP, though.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.

Quick Reply