Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Setvena wahkeena (Perlodidae) (Wahkeena Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
As far as I can tell, this species has only previously been reported from one site in Oregon along the Columbia gorge. However, the key characteristics are fairly unmistakable in all except for one minor detail:
— 4 small yellow spots on frons visible in photos
— Narrow occipital spinule row curves forward (but doesn’t quite meet on stem of ecdysial suture, as it's supposed to in this species)
— Short spinules on anterior margin of front legs
— Short rposterior row of blunt spinules on abdominal tergae, rather than elongated spinules dorsally
I caught several of these mature nymphs in the fishless, tiny headwaters of a creek high in the Wenatchee Mountains.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Female Theliopsyche (Lepidostomatidae) (Little Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Adult from Mystery Creek #42 in Pennsylvania
This one has a neat iridescent sheen to its wings.

See the discussion for details on this fly's tentative ID.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 5, 2007June 5th, 2007, 11:20 pm EDT
Jason-

That would be Chimarra, most likely C. aterrima, but it could also be either C. obscura or C. socia. Based on that neat black egg mass visible in the ventral view photo, it would also appear that it's a female.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jun 6, 2007June 6th, 2007, 4:08 am EDT
Although I have no handy key, there are good emergences of Chimarra in most of the medium-to-large Pocono streams in May. It is routine to see them clinging to the underside of low-hanging branches or woody debris along the streams.
Litobrancha
Knoxville TN

Litobrancha on Jun 12, 2007June 12th, 2007, 8:09 am EDT
I don't think this is a philopotamid, which lay their eggs singly instead of in large masses....

It is hard to tell from the picture but I would guess it is Micrasema or Lepidostoma, possibly Helicopsyche.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 12, 2007June 12th, 2007, 2:42 pm EDT
OK, I've moved it to Microsema for now.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 13, 2007June 13th, 2007, 9:04 am EDT
Litobrancha-

What genus would this one be?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Litobrancha
Knoxville TN

Litobrancha on Jun 14, 2007June 14th, 2007, 2:55 am EDT
taxon i think they got that one right. kinda hard to tell from the pic though.
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Dec 22, 2007December 22nd, 2007, 9:07 am EST
Folks - This one is indeed a difficult one. I would not conclude Micrasema because the photo shows too many spurs. And I would not conclude Philopotamid because of several characters, including the egg mass Litobrancha noted. How about Theliopsyche, a rarely collected Lepidostomatid? At least Theliopsyche has the furry spurs located as in the photos and a long basal antennal segment.
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Dec 31, 2007December 31st, 2007, 2:43 am EST
Folks - while I still think this is probably Theliopsyche, there was a brief mention of egg masses in this topic. I just ran into a nice specimen of Apatania incerta with the round egg mass still attached. I was going to attach a photo but couldn't figure out how to do it.
Are there instructions/procedures for attaching critter photos or is it not allowed?

dave

Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Dec 31, 2007December 31st, 2007, 4:37 am EST
Dave-

The (unassisted) manner of posting a photo is inserting the following markup language, except use braces rather than curly braces:

{img src=http://...whatever.jpg}

Of course, this requires that the photo already be hosted on a server.

Alternatively, if one emails photos to Jason, he will host them on this server, and create a posting for you including the accompanying email verbiage. However, since starting grad school, his response would probably be somewhat slower.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Dec 31, 2007December 31st, 2007, 5:08 am EST
Roger - thanks. I don't have server access and I understand the demands of grad school so I will leave the reader to their imagination. The egg mass of Apatania incerta is also spherical.

dave
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Dec 31, 2007December 31st, 2007, 6:21 am EST
Dave-

There are free services like PhotoBucket, which you can use to host photos. I'd certainly like to see any critter photos you have, and I suspect there are others who would as well.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Dec 31, 2007December 31st, 2007, 9:25 am EST
Folks - while I still think this is probably Theliopsyche, there was a brief mention of egg masses in this topic. I just ran into a nice specimen of Apatania incerta with the round egg mass still attached.
Creno

Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck

Quick Reply