Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

An adult caddisfly. Closeup of a hairy aquatic insect adult

Lateral view of a Apatania (Apataniidae) (Early Smoky Wing Sedge) Caddisfly Adult from the West Branch of the Delaware River in New York
This one actually had a medium tan body when it emerged. By the time I took the picture it was dark as night. I was actually looking through my box of specimens trying to figure out where that tan one I caught disappeared to. Then I realized this is it.
Litobrancha
Knoxville TN

Litobrancha on May 21, 2007May 21st, 2007, 8:22 am EDT
you guys got apatania up there? kinda looks like one to me although not one of our species.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on May 21, 2007May 21st, 2007, 8:36 am EDT
Yes. We have incerta, nigra, and blacki in PA. I'm pretty sure incerta is also found in NY.
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Dec 22, 2007December 22nd, 2007, 9:51 am EST
Folks - This is another I would call Brachycentrus. You can definitely see the maxillary palps folded up in front of the face.

And a note on Apatania - the eastern species are down to two - incerta and nigra. A.blacki, praevolans and rossi were all recently sunk under A. incerta. (Flint 2007 Proc. Ent. Soc. Wash. 109(3):739-740)

Quick Reply