Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Willmilne
Manitoba Canada

Willmilne on May 22, 2009May 22nd, 2009, 1:04 pm EDT
Found a couple of S.xxxx nymphs

I think the first might be S. quebecensis

I'm not sure of the second one????

any suggestions?

Will
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 23, 2009May 23rd, 2009, 3:42 am EDT
Hi Will-

Another possibility might be Siphlonurus phyllis, which I believe to be the only Siphlonurus species other than S. alternatus present in Manitoba.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on May 23, 2009May 23rd, 2009, 7:13 am EDT
what was the habitat for each one?
Willmilne
Manitoba Canada

Willmilne on May 23, 2009May 23rd, 2009, 10:06 am EDT
Habitat - silt/clay substrate /turbid large river - 400' wide / both from the same location at the river edge in approx 2' of water on the river side of small clumps of flooded grasses.

We have S.alternatus and S.phyllis listed here , but I get the sense we may have more here than the lists suggest.

I'm probably wrong on the first one . Ventral markings are a thin central dark stripe thinner at segment 1 than 9 - broken fine dark stripe at the outer edges of segments 1-9. approx 11-12mm

Number 2 is approx 14-15 mm with no discenrable marking on the ventral side.

Couple of larger images that may help. Since I like to photography these critters live and they rarely stay motionless some details may be blurred.

http://www.watersidemb.ca/siph/siphfull1a.jpg

and

http://www.watersidemb.ca/siph/siphfull2a.jpg

Will
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 23, 2009May 23rd, 2009, 11:09 am EDT
Will-

Your higher resolution photos both show "abdominal segments above marked with conspicuous branched pattern", and the 1st higher resolution photo shows "a prominent brown spot on each lateral margin midway between base and apex", which is described by Justin & Fannie Leonard on page 77 of their book, Mayflies of Michigan Trout Streams, as being characteristic of Siphlonurus alternatus.

Do you have a ventral photo of the sternite markings you described on the "first" one?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on May 23, 2009May 23rd, 2009, 12:05 pm EDT
keep in mind that several spp are unknown as nymphs
Willmilne
Manitoba Canada

Willmilne on May 23, 2009May 23rd, 2009, 1:07 pm EDT
Roger- I will make some images on Monday of the ventral markings. Not sure if it means anything but over the period I was collecting on that day .Nymph 1 outnumbered nymph 2 by a ratio of approx 6:1

I did notice comparing the two images that nymph image 1 has lateral projections on segment 10 and nymph 2 does not the plot thickens:)

Konchu - I am new to all this but beginning to understand that your statement however frustrating is very true:))

Obviously I have been taking rather portrait/dorsal views of the nymphs I have been finding. It's becoming clear to me ( I bought Merrit and Cummins and have been rummaging around on Famu) that there must be a set views that would serve to document the salient details that would be of more use than simple portraits.

What would constitute a usefull set of nymph stage images ..

Views-

Dorsal
Ventral
High magnification mouth parts

I know there are sampling protocols are there imaging protocols???

Will

Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 23, 2009May 23rd, 2009, 1:16 pm EDT
Will-

Please re-read my above post, which I was busy updating at the same time as your made your above post.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Willmilne
Manitoba Canada

Willmilne on May 25, 2009May 25th, 2009, 8:30 am EDT
Thanks Roger-

Ventral view of Nymph 1 -

http://www.watersidemb.ca/siph/sipventral1a.jpg

Will
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 25, 2009May 25th, 2009, 9:47 am EDT
Will-

Your ventral view of nymph 1 reveals markings extremely similar to those illustrated for Siphlonurus rapidus on page 79 of Mayflies by Knopp and Cormier.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck

Quick Reply