Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Sayfu
Sayfu on Sep 20, 2013September 20th, 2013, 4:58 pm EDT
No fishing hole is secret anymore. It's those unmanned drones that take pictures, and provide GPS coordinates. You can gather the info via the Freedom of Information Act contacting the Pentagon. But you can only contact them by fax. Heard that on radio today.
Mlibertone
Mlibertone's profile picture
Wellsville NY

Mlibertone on Oct 4, 2013October 4th, 2013, 2:15 pm EDT
Hi There! I am Michelle, Mark's daughter. (He and mom actually live(d) with my little family and I. I happened to google dad's name today and came across this sight. I see you all loved my dad and everything that he was. I thought I might share here a little about dad's passing. First, I want to say that I believe the obituary was mainly written by dad before he passed. :) My whole family (mom, 3 sisters and my brother) worked together to make sure dad was cared for in the best way til his last breath. He was watched over and was really never left alone. Someone was with him 24/7 in the last month and most of the time before that. On Sept 16th at 3:23pm dad passed peacefully surrounded by my mom, my brother, his wife, my twin sister and I. I have to say the way he passed can only be described as beautiful and amazing. My brother had just left the house bc he was getting ready to go to work. My twin and I had gone upstairs to stay with dad. It was about 2:30pm. I was holding his hand and realized it was starting to get cold. I told my sister to call my brother and tell him to come back. I called my mom and told her to come home too. My son, Mark had come home from school and I told him he should go up and give grandpa (more like his dad as he has helped me to raise Mark since birth. He was so much more than a grandpa.) a kiss. When I brought him back downstairs, my 3yo daughter said she wanted to go see grandpa so, I brought her up. She climbed on the bed, kissed and hugged him. She hopped down and turned back to say, I love you grandpa! He took one more short breath and passed. It happened so easy and effortlessly that all of us who were in the room didn't know if it had really happened in that moment. I think it was just another gift from him, another story to tell. He loved stories.
I'm not sure what all of you believe but, dad believed that after you pass, life doesn't end. I believe the same. I believe it even more now bc I know my dad has sent me signs that he is ok. About an hour after his passing, I had gotten out my laptop, which I rarely use bc I'm normally on my iPad or phone. Anyway, I was looking for a pic of dad to use for his obituary and I had to burn it to a disc. When I went to go burn the disk, I found an unlabeled disc already in the cd-rom. I set it aside and burned the picture disk but, I was really curious as to what the disk was. I put it back in the rom and when it popped up on the screen it said, track1 (no other label) I pushed play and it was a beautiful song and my dad was singing it! I have no idea how it got there but, I swear it was a sign from him.
Here is a link to what I heard
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6SBYz24p78I

Here is also a link to a video slide show that I made in memory of my dad.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-2hKfCpQrGY

Hope you enjoy!
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Oct 9, 2013October 9th, 2013, 1:45 pm EDT
This is a wonderful tribute to your father--a very talented and giving man. I never knew that he had such a beautiful voice. I believe he is at peace and in a peaceful place. Thank you for sharing with us. He will be sadly missed, but gladly remembered. May you find peace and comfort.
Bruce
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Oct 9, 2013October 9th, 2013, 3:31 pm EDT
Thank you for that, Michelle. My Mom passed a few years ago surrounded with love. "Beautiful and amazing" describes it well. Gives us all something to work hard for. Thanks, once again, Mark.
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Oct 19, 2013October 19th, 2013, 9:08 am EDT
Sorry to have not seen or heard of this before now. Mark will be missed. He was always kind and generous with his knowledge.
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn

Quick Reply