Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jun 13, 2007June 13th, 2007, 2:47 pm EDT
Well my first post was slightly prompted so I figured a formal "Hello" was in order.

I'm an eastern PA transplant to the Cumberland Valley who is more or less self taught with a few very benevolent tutors along the way. Some of you likely will recognize the name from other boards and I hope there is a fair reputation attached to my screen name.
I hope to be an asset to this board.
Tight Lines and bombproof flies,
John
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jun 13, 2007June 13th, 2007, 3:51 pm EDT
Welcome, John. Any friend of Louis is a friend of mine. (I think. No money changed hands on that nuclear spinner endorsement, did it?) Just kidding, but with all the various Johns posting here....OK, there was a streetwalker joke in there, but I'll spare you my idiotic sense of humor. (For now.)

Best,
Lloyd
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 13, 2007June 13th, 2007, 5:10 pm EDT
Welcome!

People named John have a very good track record here, although I may have to program in a menu option to keep track of which John is which. ;)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Invicta
Tulare, CA

Invicta on Jun 13, 2007June 13th, 2007, 7:59 pm EDT
Hi John,

Its nice to have another new voice to hear from, if not confuse Jason's computer.

John
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jun 14, 2007June 14th, 2007, 12:16 am EDT
"I may have to program in a menu option..."

Perhaps in the "Common Names" section.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jun 14, 2007June 14th, 2007, 3:29 am EDT
Hi John!

Maybe we could form a powerful fly fishing lobbyist group! Of course, we would let other true troutnuts join. :)

John S
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jun 14, 2007June 14th, 2007, 10:56 am EDT
Gonzo,
No money changed hands however, Louis was however quite the fish pimp.
;) I'll take an idiotic sense of humor over some of the idiots i've encountered elsewhere as of late.

Caught you at the HBG FF Dinner in '06 and '05.

I guess to make things a little clearer I could change my common name to JW.

JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jun 16, 2007June 16th, 2007, 1:50 am EDT
I believe my name is a translation of 'John' into Irish or something - does that qualify me for membership? To be counted among the Johns on this forum would be quite an honor.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Jun 16, 2007June 16th, 2007, 2:45 pm EDT

Well here's another John.
Welcome to the forum John w I have been wanting to meet you. I have been following your posts on FFP I think you will fit right in here.

Gonzo I think we should be worrying about Louis. One time I called he had been painting and was replacing light switches and the next time he was talking about painting spinner posts, and fishing with John W . ( I think I could smell paint through the phone)

I just got back from a week on the J and it was fishing well,now it my turn to replace light switches and covers.

John Dunn

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 16, 2007June 16th, 2007, 4:48 pm EDT
Having been taught how to fish by my Uncle John, I'm pleased to have so many Johns on the board. My uncle was legendary in the family, and all my cousins knew his war cry of, "Hold her Newt, she's headed for the pea patch," which he'd let loose every time he hooked a big one. One day when he was catching and I wasn't I bleated, "Uncle John, what am I doing wrong?" He took a draw on his pipe, looked over at me, and said, "Boy, you ain't holdin' your mouth right." He was a grand teacher, and I look forward to learning more from the Johns on this board. By the way, I am glad to pimp fish whenever it's possible to get them to cooperate. Wish me luck with Shawn and his brother later in the month.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jun 17, 2007June 17th, 2007, 5:30 am EDT
Gonzo I think we should be worrying about Louis.

John, paint fumes may well have had something to do with Louis's strange preoccupation with making things glow in the dark, but the effect should be temporary. Actually, I just spent two fine days fishing with the Prof, and he seemed relatively normal (for Louis). However, the residual effects on his brain cells may explain the extraordinary difficulty he had landing the many fish he hooked. ;)
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 17, 2007June 17th, 2007, 10:59 am EDT
Gonzo, I don't think it was paint fumes, nor bad karma as I had jokingly suggested. I believe I simply was not holding my mouth right. Now, how do we explain all those misses on the beetle? :)

--Fred Chappell
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jun 17, 2007June 17th, 2007, 11:08 am EDT
Obviously, Louis, I was using that oversize beetle to pre-select only larger trout! (I was leaving the little guys for you, in the hope that they might be easier to land.) ;) Seriously, thanks so much for sharing some of your favorite spots and for making my reintroduction to my very first trout stream such a memorable experience.

PS--Wasn't the reaction of the trout in that big pool an amazing example of the "distraction factor" in action?

PPS--The smaller Drunella nymphs and the Serratella we seined should make for some good morning action. Give them a try.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 18, 2007June 18th, 2007, 3:28 am EDT
OK, now that Gonzo has explained that his inability to hook fish on his beetle was intentional, I must admit that actually I was using a complex and difficult technique to achieve long line releases due to my great affection for the fish in that favorite limestone stream. I typically release fish in this stream this way, and only land a few to commune with the population just a bit. ;> And, Gonzo, it is I who should offer thanks to you for the countless lessons in presentation and tying. I'm looking for some white rod winding nylon today, and ordering a ceramic hook hone. :)

P.S. Any anticipated hatch dates for those Drunella?

--Fred Chappell
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jun 18, 2007June 18th, 2007, 4:01 am EDT
If I had to speculate, probably in about a week. Checking for darkening wingpads would be the only way to time it more precisely. Keep in mind that the area we sampled is the coldest water on the stream, so the lower, warmer sections will probably see the hatch sooner. This second group of D. lata is usually #16-18, and somewhere between the middle to the end of June is when I typically find them hatching in the Poconos (on larger waters).

The little Serratella "scorpions" are probably already hatching. I'm pretty sure that was deficiens; they hatch into #20 duns with blackish wings/bodies and pale legs and tails. (They also usually have light rings at the abdominal segments.)

PS--Just to keep the record straight, Louis, my beetle performed its mission admirably. My "inability to hook fish" did not apply to any of the larger specimens, who found the hook with unerring precision. The little fellows were eager to eat it as well, but my beetle thwarted their most fervent attempts. Rather than dillydally with elaborate long-distance release techniques, I prefer selective hooking. ;)
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Jun 18, 2007June 18th, 2007, 6:50 am EDT

It's a good Jason doesn't have a truth clause on this forum-------you would both be in do do

John Dunn speaker of the truth.

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 18, 2007June 18th, 2007, 7:19 am EDT
It's a good Jason doesn't have a truth clause on this forum-------you would both be in do do

Good point! For now, as long as they don't tell their tall tales in haiku, they're ok.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jun 18, 2007June 18th, 2007, 7:29 am EDT
John and Jason,

You guys seem to be suggesting that there is something disingenuous about the repartee between me and Louis. I don't know what could have given you that impression. He is clearly a master of the long-distance release technique, and the proof of my selective hooking tactic was in the catching. ;)
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Jun 18, 2007June 18th, 2007, 8:57 am EDT

Ok Ok this is getting over my head----I have to look up what my friends are writing .

don't tell their tall tales in haiku,

disingenuous about the repartee

If this keeps up I will have to take some of Louis classes.

(Hold her Newt, she's headed for the pea patch)

John ?????????????????

GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jun 18, 2007June 18th, 2007, 9:32 am EDT
Sorry, John! But at least the only Latin I generally use is in scientific binomials. (Unlike some I could mention....) ;)

Quick Reply