Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

West has attached these 6 pictures to this report. The message is below.
My buddy Nate with his wizard pose.
The fruits of my labor.
Just getting ready for my favorite time of summer.

Report at a Glance

General RegionWestern/NW Wisconsin
Dates FishedJune/July 2012

Details and Discussion

West
West's profile picture
Eau Claire, Wisconsin

West on Jul 18, 2012July 18th, 2012, 7:06 am EDT
It's been a sweltering summer here for Midwest trout, but I've done my best to not let that keep me from the stream. Here's a little smattering of pictures from my season thus far. Most were taken in Western Wisconsin, with the exception of the rainbow make-out pic.
West

http://pleasantly-obsessed.blogspot.com/
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jul 18, 2012July 18th, 2012, 5:10 pm EDT
Very nice!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Orn

Orn on Jul 20, 2012July 20th, 2012, 4:47 am EDT
I love wisconsin, haven't been in the northwoods since 2008 and can't wait to get back!

P.s. I've never been so jealous of a hooked fish!
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jul 22, 2012July 22nd, 2012, 5:02 am EDT
West, glad to see you are FF'ing. Excellent!
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 22, 2012July 22nd, 2012, 6:25 am EDT
Yes, lucky rainbow! Great photos overall. West. Aside from the pretty girl (lucky you) I especially liked the berry photo; it reminded me of finding a trove of ripe wineberries one day when I was famished after a long hot day of fishing. Very delicious. Yours look like wild black raspberries, even sweeter.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 23, 2012July 23rd, 2012, 4:18 pm EDT
Nice photos all! Beautiful fishies! I had my class (Field Biology) out this afternoon (in 95 F heat with deer flies no less) and we found some nice sweet red raspberries for a welcome break. Also, notice the classic fly-fishing hat on that fellow in the first photo!

Trout fishing has declined significantly here in northern lower MI with the heat and lack of rainfall. May and June were unbelievable and we're paying for it now. However, [REDACTED] Pond has a spring-fed stream flowing into it, providing a thermal refuge for the brookies (thanks goodness!!!), plus they are all stacked in there right now and seem to be willing to hit about anything, from hoppers to Royal Wulffs. Put a buddy on his very first trout last night and got my biggest brookie ever (photos coming shortly)! So, I at least have one spot left to go...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
West
West's profile picture
Eau Claire, Wisconsin

West on Jul 24, 2012July 24th, 2012, 5:43 am EDT
Thanks guys! As I have been more than less obsessed with the sport of fly fishing for about eleven years or so now and am still only 22 years old, I have a long list of places where I'd like to fish and/or live in my life. That being said, Wisconsin will always be my holy water. From the fertile spring creeks of the Driftless to the rugged waters of the north, there are lifetimes of trout water to be explored and the time has long since passed where I would ever take that fact for granted.

My plan now involves an indefinite move out west after college graduation this winter. Due in large part to that fact, I have been cherishing this water now more than ever before.
West

http://pleasantly-obsessed.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply