Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Setvena wahkeena (Perlodidae) (Wahkeena Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
As far as I can tell, this species has only previously been reported from one site in Oregon along the Columbia gorge. However, the key characteristics are fairly unmistakable in all except for one minor detail:
— 4 small yellow spots on frons visible in photos
— Narrow occipital spinule row curves forward (but doesn’t quite meet on stem of ecdysial suture, as it's supposed to in this species)
— Short spinules on anterior margin of front legs
— Short rposterior row of blunt spinules on abdominal tergae, rather than elongated spinules dorsally
I caught several of these mature nymphs in the fishless, tiny headwaters of a creek high in the Wenatchee Mountains.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Oct 7, 2018October 7th, 2018, 4:34 am EDT
Not going to Virginia after all. Why they did not do this before they offered me the job I do not know...they called and said I had too many violations on my driving record. Which consisted of two tickets for failing to update registration, and another for 60 mph in a 55 zone...

Yes, I am a horrible driver, please get me off the road! Not really, and consider where I live, not much to bust in the way of real crime so they prey on the locals (and tourists I'm sure!). In any case, it knocked me out of consideration and the job offer was rescinded.

Don't cry for me, Argentina! I have heard it said many times, "Don't take the first job you're offered." And, I know that my skills are in demand, and what I'm worth. It's a dry run, I doubt I'll fail to find someone else who will recognize my credentials. Downstate is always a good possibility, but I still wouldn't rule out another adventure...and no matter where I end up, there will always be flyfishing of some sort to be had. I will keep you all posted...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 7, 2018October 7th, 2018, 10:31 am EDT
Jonathon,

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate set back. Some companies have very stringent policies concerning driving records. Whether or not they make sense is a moot point. The company is in control and there is little one can do about it. Do you have any facial or neck tattoos? If so many companies will never call back for a 2nd interview. Same for body piercings.

It does seem really overkill that they would rescind the offer for failing to update the registration and the 5 mph over the limit is pure BS. That is ludicrous! Most states will allow you 7 - 9 mph over the posted limit before they pull you over. But like you mentioned small town police have to make revenue somehow and obviously they aren't giving any breaks.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Oct 7, 2018October 7th, 2018, 11:32 am EDT
Hang in there, as I said good things happen to good people, and maybe this happened for a reason. At any rate your still in a pretty cool spot, be patient in will happen!

Mike.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Oct 9, 2018October 9th, 2018, 4:48 pm EDT
Seems absurd to me, Jonathon, but whether or not things happen for a reason, things often find a way of working out. We'll sure all be rooting for you.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Oct 10, 2018October 10th, 2018, 2:38 pm EDT
Well guys, what with Michael slamming into the Gulf Coast, and the Carolinas getting ready for Round 2 (from the opposite direction!), maybe the southeast isn't a part of the country I want to live in...I lived in Marietta, a suburb of Atlanta, for a year, and they are getting it right now. At least nasty Michigan winters don't threaten to destroy everything you own in 20 minutes or less - we know how to deal with them. But Hurricanes?? Palm trees are adapted to bending in the wind, but not human dwellings, or bridges, or other structures...Best of luck to everyone who has to survive this latest one!!!

Jonathon

P.S. We are getting quite a lot of rain right now ourselves - been a couple of really, really wet years! But, I suppose that is good for our trout - full aquifers mean plenty of spring flow and cooler trout streams in the heat of summer. Just gotta wait for them to go down and clear up though!
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply