Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Softhackle has attached this picture. The message is below.
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Apr 30, 2009April 30th, 2009, 4:32 pm EDT
Original Watercolor- Title: Early Spring Outing
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 30, 2009April 30th, 2009, 7:16 pm EDT
Wow!!!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Freepow
menomonie, WI

Freepow on May 1, 2009May 1st, 2009, 12:43 am EDT
That painting is beautiful...wonderful job! Do you have a website with others that you've painted? Also, do you intend to have prints made...? Keep us posted. Thanks for sharing, you really are talented.
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 1, 2009May 1st, 2009, 12:56 am EDT
Mark, thanks for sharing this. Way cool.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Teddyp
North Carolina

Teddyp on May 1, 2009May 1st, 2009, 1:27 am EDT
That's a great painting! I'd be intested also if you have a website or prints that become available.
Ted
Patcrisci
Lagrangeville, NY

Patcrisci on May 1, 2009May 1st, 2009, 2:28 am EDT
Nice painting. What a talented group of people here in this forum! And not only fly tyers and fly fisherman but all sorts of -- who knows what???
Pat Crisci
Softhackle
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on May 1, 2009May 1st, 2009, 2:50 am EDT
My Personal page with more art

I have been considering having some prints made of some of my work, but wasn't sure if they'd sell. Perhaps in the near future it'll happen. If it's okay with Jason, I'll let everyone know if it happens.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on May 1, 2009May 1st, 2009, 4:09 am EDT
gee, and Best Fishing Buddy just asked me what might be appropriate for Mother's Day...
yes, prints might be worthwhile. how much of a hassle are they?
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
DOS
Buffalo, NY

DOS on May 1, 2009May 1st, 2009, 6:00 am EDT
Simply beautiful Mark!! I too dabble in watercolor... strictly for fun. I would love to pick your brain about some of the techniques your using when I have a little more time, if you don't mind . I'll send ya a PM soon, but now its back to work :)
Andrew Nisbet
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 1, 2009May 1st, 2009, 12:57 pm EDT
If it's okay with Jason, I'll let everyone know if it happens.

No problem!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on May 1, 2009May 1st, 2009, 1:56 pm EDT
Beautiful, Mark. Vivid.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Softhackle
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on May 2, 2009May 2nd, 2009, 1:41 am EDT
DOS,
Feel free to get in touch.

Mark

Ericd
Mpls, MN

Ericd on Jul 14, 2009July 14th, 2009, 2:55 pm EDT
That is a great painting. I liked everything from your website, too. Thanks for sharing. I've been looking half-heartedly for three photos or paintings to display in my house. One each of Brown, Brook and Rainbow with their latin names. I have not seen much that I've liked and I'm interested in seeing photos and paintings in both color and black and white, but it would be important to be of the same series or of the same artist. Has anyone seen anything like this that I could peruse for purchase.

Quick Reply