Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Male Ephemerella subvaria (Ephemerellidae) (Hendrickson) Mayfly Dun from the Beaverkill River in New York
I collected this male Hendrickson dun and a female in the pool on the Beaverkill where the popular Hendrickson pattern was first created. He is descended from mayfly royalty.
MarkP
Cary, Il.

MarkP on May 19, 2012May 19th, 2012, 5:32 pm EDT
Got to experience my first hatch of these flies on a stream where they aren't listed as having them present. Didn't last too long. Took place at 9:30 am and lasted about 30 minutes. Fish didn't rise to them during the hatch but I couldn't keep them off of a #18 BWO later in the day.
I love fly fishing and fly tying more than a fat kid likes cake...
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on May 22, 2012May 22nd, 2012, 11:45 am EDT
Welcome back to the forum, Mark!

Assuming your comment that this hatch isn't listed is based on angling sources and not scientific lit, your observations may point out the reason. It's my experience that there are often dozens of mayfly species on any given river that go unreported on angler "Hatch Charts", simply because they never seem to offer obvious angling opportunities. From time to time, though...:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply