Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

GldstrmSam
GldstrmSam's profile picture
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Feb 14, 2012February 14th, 2012, 9:11 pm EST
Well you still got some feathers. Have you ever heard of the E-Z skinning way for grouse? It is as simple as: stand on the wings and pull on the feet. I just found that out today, so I have yet to try it on a rooster.
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
FisherOfMen
FisherOfMen's profile picture
NY

FisherOfMen on Feb 16, 2012February 16th, 2012, 12:25 pm EST
Heard of somethin similar for squirrels. Tried it several times and kept ripping them in half, so I reverted to the old ways.
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 16, 2012February 16th, 2012, 12:51 pm EST
You guys can also run 'em over with the car. That'll Separate feather from carcass too. It's fast, easy and the bird will be in better shape. "Stand on their wings and pull on the feet", indeed...:)LOL

I think that good Sam is trying to take you on a "Snipe Hunt", Nick. Ever heard that term before?:)LOL
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 16, 2012February 16th, 2012, 1:06 pm EST
Here snipe, snipe, here snipey!! Nick, the only way to get snipe is to go out in a field when it is dark with a flashlight and a burlap bag, and of course, a stick. Then you have a bunch of guys do a drive from the opposite end of the field and when the snipe start to run towards you just club them over the head and throw them in the bag. Later you can do whatever it is to end their life on earth and get the feathers.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 16, 2012February 16th, 2012, 1:13 pm EST
:):):)LOL,LOL

Ah, Matt! To be young again....
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GldstrmSam
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Feb 16, 2012February 16th, 2012, 3:19 pm EST
You guys can also run 'em over with the car. That'll Separate feather from carcass too. It's fast, easy and the bird will be in better shape. "Stand on their wings and pull on the feet", indeed...:)LOL

think that good Sam is trying to take you on a "Snipe Hunt", Nick. Ever heard that term before?:)LOL
:) :) LOL!!!!

Don't blame me if it doesn't work. I never tried it.:) :) :)
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 16, 2012February 16th, 2012, 4:02 pm EST
Don't blame me if it doesn't work. I never tried it.:) :) :)

:):):) Well, several riven squirrels at the hands of Nick are proof I guess... The lesson here is if you ever get a desire for some fried squirrel, don't send Nick out for 'em. :):) LOL Thanks guys, this was fun...
GldstrmSam
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Feb 16, 2012February 16th, 2012, 5:18 pm EST
The lesson here is if you ever get a desire for some fried squirrel, don't send Nick out for 'em.

:) :) :) :) :)!!!!!!
FisherOfMen
FisherOfMen's profile picture
NY

FisherOfMen on Feb 18, 2012February 18th, 2012, 9:31 am EST
hahahahehehoeoehe!

You guys are TOO MUCH!

It took me five minutes to figure out who was being serious and what everybody meant. Then it was even funnier!
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Quick Reply