Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Ditch
Ditch's profile picture
Fuquay-Varina NC

Ditch on Feb 6, 2012February 6th, 2012, 5:08 am EST
Have any of you guy done much canoe fishing never really tried both together, I assume fishing from a seated position of course but wondering about gear etc.

Phil
There are no bad fishing days.
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Feb 6, 2012February 6th, 2012, 6:38 am EST
I do quite a bit. It's not difficult unless you're trying to fish while floating through fast, challenging water and that's usually an exercise if futility anyway. When I'm float-fishing faster moving streams, I generally just use my canoe as a way to get from one good run to another, where I stop and wade-fish. That's not necessary on slower streams or on faster rivers if you're with someone else so you can take turns paddling and fishing. It's still not a bad idea to get out and fish the best water a little more thoroughly.

Gear won't be much different from what you'd use wade-fishing. The only thing I can think of is that it's nice to have a fairly long rod, 9ft at least preferably, to keep the line from slapping the water too much on the back-casts.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Ditch
Ditch's profile picture
Fuquay-Varina NC

Ditch on Feb 7, 2012February 7th, 2012, 2:38 am EST
How heavy of a rod would you use 6# 8# or just stick to my usual river rod. Do you use one of the special fishing life vest or just your regular vest with life jacket under the seat.

Phil
There are no bad fishing days.
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Feb 7, 2012February 7th, 2012, 6:45 am EST
I just usually wear my regular vest with a life jacket under the seat.But it's worthwhile to keep in mind that I'm usually floating Ozark streams, which are usually gentle streams with little honest to goodness white-water of any sort and very few dangerous places at normal water levels...Might be very different on some of the streams you're float-fishing out in Virginia. Just be careful and use your best judgement on that.

I just use my normal fly rod, a 9ft 5-weight when float-fishing, or sometimes my 6 weight bamboo rod when I get the wild hair. No need for anything but the rod you usually use unless it's a really big river or it tends to really windy wherever you're fishing.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply