Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionNew Brunswick Canada
Specific LocationJuniper Piers pool to Half Moon pool
Dates Fished???(Sunday&Monday)
Fish CaughtAtlantic Salmon,brookies
Conditions & HatchesHot and humid Sunday,cold and windy Monday

Details and Discussion

Greenghost
New Brunswick

Greenghost on Feb 22, 2009February 22nd, 2009, 6:49 am EST
Couple pics from a 15km overnight canoe trip my bud Pete and I did Labor Day weekend.Lots of brookies,rose a couple salmon Sunday but no hookups.Coldfront and windy Monday morning.We had ditched our waders and camping gear for the last leg,brrrr...water and wind was cold!One last cast and finally landed a nice grilse(23")at the take-out point while waiting for our ride to take us back up river.

Pete @ HalfMoon

A few brookies for the pan

Last chance salmon,23"grilse

Thanks to wbranch for help posting pics.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 23, 2009February 23rd, 2009, 5:57 pm EST
No pictures.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
JZord
New York

JZord on Mar 5, 2009March 5th, 2009, 7:34 am EST
cool pictures. looks fun
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 8, 2009March 8th, 2009, 6:47 am EDT
Hi Ghost,

Great pictures - looks like nice water. Water looks very clear. Did you see many other fly fishers? I'll PM you for some more information. The top picture even looks like the fellows legs are red from the cold water.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Greenghost
New Brunswick

Greenghost on Mar 9, 2009March 9th, 2009, 2:18 am EDT
Wbranch,it's a beautiful stretch of the river up in the headwaters area of the Main SW Miramichi near Juniper,NB,app. 200km upstream from where it empties into Northumberland Strait.The Miramichi watershed is comprised of 37 major tributaries and over 7000 individual streams,brooks,creeks etc.,making it the largest producer of Atlantic Salmon in the world.The water is clean and pristine,but like most NB rivers slightly tea colored/peat stained.

On this trip we put in just above the small lumber town of Juniper.We seen a few other anglers at some of the easier access points and popular pools along the route,but much of the water is only accessable via canoe,with sweeping bends,lies,and holding pools around every other corner.Some stretches we didn't see another soul for several kms at a time,and this on a long weekend.

Yes,it was very cold on Monday and a mistake to ditch our waders along with the camping gear upstream at an access point,but it was so hot on Sunday we never gave it much thought?Live and learn,...September is wader season,LOL.
Can't wait to go back again in June for some of the best searun speck fishing the east coast has to offer.

Quick Reply