Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Jan 17, 2009January 17th, 2009, 9:45 am EST
Need help finding a good water proof jacket. I have a simms light weight, it fits in a bag 9inx9in and takes up the whole back pocket in my Fish Pond vest(too big). Need a much smaller one that is light and water proof. Any Ideas?

JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Lam
Lancaster, PA

Lam on Jan 17, 2009January 17th, 2009, 10:26 am EST
I recently ran across a William Joseph rain jacket. You should check it out. It's very light and compacts well. The cost is anywhere from $68 to $88. In my local shop it's $88 but I saw one on sale somewhere for $68. It has two decent size tackle pockets and two regular pockets. Here is a link to a picture of it: http://www.caddisflyshop.com/wjrj.html

I think I am going to get one.
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Jan 17, 2009January 17th, 2009, 1:28 pm EST
a couple years back REI had a Sierra Designs one on sale that either went flat into its pocket, about 4x5, or into a beer-can sized bag that had a clip that i put on my wading belt. think it was around $10. not breathable, but it works against showers and cold wind.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Jan 18, 2009January 18th, 2009, 7:32 am EST
Thanks for the replies.
I ordered a William Joseph 5 oz packable.

JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Leakywaders
New England

Leakywaders on Jan 18, 2009January 18th, 2009, 12:54 pm EST
I carry a plastic vinyl raincoat. If you have it with you, you don't need it, if you don't have it, you need it.
Drag free??? If the fly didn't drag, I wouldn't know where it was!!

Quick Reply