Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Bowmandjk
erie,penna

Bowmandjk on Dec 27, 2007December 27th, 2007, 9:02 am EST
hey guys ive been looking for a new wading jacket something to wear with waders only that will let me fish all day and stay warm and dry cabelas has a ultr wading jacket on sale sells for 99 and down to 69 any suggestions hate to buy without seeing thanks
Irishangler
Irishangler on Dec 27, 2007December 27th, 2007, 2:34 pm EST
I bought that wading jacket earlier this year and really like it. I'd strongly recommend that you purchase a size larger. I realized this after mine was delivered and had to exchange it. I would have realized this if I'd read the customer reviews on the Cabelas website. Anyway, got it a size larger and it works well. I live and fish in SW VA, so we don't get the extremely cold weather, but it held up well during some chilly early spring showers. I also like to travel lightly and the exterior pockets will hold several small to medium-sized fly boxes. I hope this helps. Good luck.

IEatimago
Spring Mills, PA

IEatimago on Jan 2, 2008January 2nd, 2008, 2:57 am EST
i have a g3, and it is a size larger i have only had to wear a hoodie under it once,
now my hands and legs, they dont feel so great when i get back to the car.

Quick Reply