Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Pryal74 has attached these 20 pictures. The message is below.
Chunky guy on a streamer.
Great color on this big native.
Giant hen brookie.
Taking a large orange and white.
Good colors on this lil fella.
There was a tiny nick on him where maybe a heron took a stab it him... you can see it below his lateral line.
About 5 inches and has some of the prettiest coloration for a fish that size.  Out of a U.P. river right next to a city and totally native.
Big Brook Trout at dusk.
Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Jan 26, 2012January 26th, 2012, 10:05 pm EST
These are my favorite trout to hunt down and toss a fly to. For anyone who has trekked through four miles of two track roads, poplar forests, nasty swamps, beaver dam pools, tag alders or any horrid, taxing, encumbering obstacle... knows exactly what it means to work for your quarry. I love to watch their fall colors flash as they strike a white marabou streamer or smash boldly on an elk hair caddis. These are just a few of my favorite photos of some Brook Trout I landed in 2011.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 27, 2012January 27th, 2012, 6:24 am EST
Sure love those brookies.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jan 27, 2012January 27th, 2012, 6:46 am EST
Sure love those brookies.

Paul,

Even though my Calvinist cousins are sure I'm "preterite", I can't tell you how many times I've found myself uttering, "Thank God for Brookies!" :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 27, 2012January 27th, 2012, 6:56 pm EST
Beautiful brookies there, James! They are my favorite fish, fresh water or salt. And yes, they live in the most beautiful streams (and ponds) too. I have two great brookie hotspots where I live now and last year I think I caught more brookies than I may have in my whole life combined! In one spot I can snorkel with them too in the summer - warm water on top, ice cold on the bottom!

I can't wait for trout opener this year! But I'll be content with ice fishing for now - 12 perch so far, three of them keepers! One spot, actually two, have the possibility of rainbow trout as well...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jan 28, 2012January 28th, 2012, 2:20 am EST
No arguments here; Brookies are the best!!
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Jan 28, 2012January 28th, 2012, 12:24 pm EST
Beautiful brookies, thanks for posting!
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
BigTrout
BigTrout's profile picture
BigTrout on Jan 30, 2012January 30th, 2012, 3:43 pm EST
Sweet pics! I love them Brookies!
The great charm about fly fishing is that we are always learning; no matter how long we have been at it, we are constantly making some new wrinkle. - Theodore Gordon

Quick Reply