Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Case view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
It's only barely visible in one of my pictures, but I confirmed under the microscope that this one has a prosternal horn and the antennae are mid-way between the eyes and front of the head capsule.

I'm calling this one Pycnopsyche, but it's a bit perplexing. It seems to key definitively to at least Couplet 8 of the Key to Genera of Limnephilidae Larvae. That narrows it down to three genera, and the case seems wrong for the other two. The case looks right for Pycnopsyche, and it fits one of the key characteristics: "Abdominal sternum II without chloride epithelium and abdominal segment IX with only single seta on each side of dorsal sclerite." However, the characteristic "metanotal sa1 sclerites not fused, although often contiguous" does not seem to fit well. Those sclerites sure look fused to me, although I can make out a thin groove in the touching halves in the anterior half under the microscope. Perhaps this is a regional variation.

The only species of Pycnopsyche documented in Washington state is Pycnopsyche guttifera, and the colors and markings around the head of this specimen seem to match very well a specimen of that species from Massachusetts on Bugguide. So I am placing it in that species for now.

Whatever species this is, I photographed another specimen of seemingly the same species from the same spot a couple months later.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Upnorth2
Wisconsin

Upnorth2 on Dec 16, 2006December 16th, 2006, 11:13 am EST
http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/index.php?topic=562.0

Supplying this link because of both its economic impact the impact this will have on stocking programs and wild fish throughout the Great Lakes Basin. There is now a ban a certain fish being transported between states by the USDA.

Anyone with any information would be appreciated if you would post it.

Not good. Going to be a bad affect.
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Dec 18, 2006December 18th, 2006, 3:33 am EST
News 10 Now | 24 Hour Local News | TOP STORIES

DEC testing birds found near Ontario Lake for Botulism 10/24/2006 7:39 PM By: Staff. The DEC continues to investigate what caused the death of numerous birds ...
http://www.news10now.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=83902
The DEC continues to investigate what caused the death of numerous birds found along the shore of Lake Ontario. The agency says birds like gulls and loons were found dead along the eastern shore of the lake Saturday.
Botulism. Water birds which have the botulism toxin cannot fly and their legs become paralyzed. DEC officials are advising the public to take precautions in handling birds and other wildlife from these areas until the investigation is completed.

How should I prepare HEALTHY fish or game that I harvest? (In Erie or Ontario)
• Wear rubber or plastic protective gloves while filleting, field dressing, skinning or butchering.
• Remove intestines soon after harvest, don't eat intestines and avoid direct contact with intestinal contents.

This is important to my because I fish for Steel head most all winter long. I posted this on (Fish Erie Forum)because those guys eat thees fish. So far this year Ive caught way over 300 Steel head and haven't keep a single fish to smoke.

Seasons Greetings
JaD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Upnorth2
Wisconsin

Upnorth2 on Dec 20, 2006December 20th, 2006, 1:57 pm EST
Thanks JAD. The USDA banned the interstate transportation of some fish to contain the Great Lakes problem. That's as far as I got with the time I have. Keep me posted.

Quick Reply