Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Sundula has attached these 2 pictures to this report. The message is below.
17" Brown
Same fish better color

Report at a Glance

General Region15 min form my driveway (including driving and walking)
Dates Fished10/19/06
Time of Day4:30p - 6:00p
Fish Caught13" Brown and 17" Brown
Conditions & HatchesFlow was right around 100cfs, clarity was good, midges were the only thing happening.

Details and Discussion

Sundula
Littleton, Colorado

Sundula on Oct 19, 2006October 19th, 2006, 6:26 pm EDT
It has really been fishing well lately, I have been having success with #20 - #22 Mercury Black Beauties, #20 - #22 Mercury RS2s, #20 - #22 RS2s, #22 - #24 Griffith's Gnats. Midge patterns will be the standard here soon, with the occasional BWO hatch.
I was fishing a nice little pool rying to fool some small rainbows when all of a sudden I noticed this guy rising to emerging midge pupae. I took a double take when I saw it because I was just messing around with the little guys, then all of a sudden i noticed a "Buick" in the "compact car parking lot". It was getting dark, and the tempeture was dropping, but I was not leaving without a picture of that fish. Taking Gonzo's advise I came up with a plan in landing the fish. I decided where I wanted it to go and how to get there. It worked out well, if I do say so, and I do. It ried to run to the fast water but I stayed below it, it had to have been funny to see. Me running down stream trying to stay below the thing, I ended up about a hundred yards down stream in some nice calm water. Right where I wanted it, the perfect spot to land, photo, and release. The picture is not great but Oh well, it was getting dark and the flash on the camera is relfecting bad on the scales. I got my pictue though, I really can't complain when I have neighbors like this guy :)

GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Oct 19, 2006October 19th, 2006, 6:35 pm EDT
I think the 2nd picture is gorgeous--a perfect brown beauty. Way to go! Keep up the good work.

Quick Reply