Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Sundula has attached these 10 pictures to this report. The message is below.
13" Brown
15" Rainbow there is alot of red on this one
17" Rainbow this one was cool check out the hook jaw
This is a picture of Cheesman Resevoir ther are burnt trees as far as the eye can see from the Hayman Fire
This is a picture of Cheeseman Dam
Cheeseman Canyon is full of huge granite boulders
As you can see the the trees in the canyon were not touched by the fire it's pretty amazing because everything around the canyon was.
This is the pool where I landed my first two Cheeseman Canyon trout
This is a photo I took in the Spring I am attaching as another example of the beauty of the canyon.

Report at a Glance

Dates Fished09/25/06
Time of Day10a - 3p
Fish Caught1 Brown 13", 1 Rainbow 12", 1 Rainbow 15", and 1 Rainbow 17"
Conditions & HatchesThe flows were around 320cfs and the clarity was good the air temps were in the mid 70's and the water temps were in the low 50's. The hatches were Baetis, Caddis, Midges, and Trico's.

Details and Discussion

Sundula
Littleton, Colorado

Sundula on Sep 25, 2006September 25th, 2006, 4:35 pm EDT
The fishing was great today with "Traditional" RS2s #22 dropped under a Mercury RS2 #18 - 20. I finally landed some of the "super selective trout" out of Cheeseman I have fished it 8 times and never landed any trout I have hooked 2 prior but my net was left empty. I was so excited, I could have left today after netting one, but four trout out of there in my opinion is fantastic! The action was good the whole time I was there I missed a few not so subtle strikes, and had two throw the hook and one I played in a deep pool and it snapped my tippet after only 15 seconds. The best fishing was in the deeper tailouts but I hooked one in about a 14" riffle as I was making my way to the bank to move up stream. It was a virtual cornacopia of hatches, the tricos would come off then the baetis, then I would see some caddis then more baetis, the midges were coming off all day. I am attaching pictures but they are not of the best quality but I know I like seeing photos of your guy's fish, and the beauty of Colorado is something I like sharing with all of you. Sorry again for the sub par photos but you get the idea :)
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 26, 2006September 26th, 2006, 2:32 am EDT
Well... the photos are good enough to make me wish I lived in Colorado! So you're doing something right.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Goose
Goose on Sep 26, 2006September 26th, 2006, 5:34 am EDT
Great photos! I have to get to Colorado someday. "It's so beautiful there" --I hear that time and time again.

Quick Reply