Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Dorsal view of a Male Baetis bicaudatus (Baetidae) (BWO) Mayfly Nymph from the Gulkana River in Alaska
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 20, 2011July 20th, 2011, 8:41 pm EDT
Unless the setae are long (about 0.60-0.75 X the width of femur), Jason, that would seem to bring us (me) back to A. feropagus/lapponica or perhaps B. foemina. (See above.)
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Jul 21, 2011July 21st, 2011, 3:45 am EDT
foemina should have larger hind wing pads than the acentrella twins. feropagus has shorter setae on the hind margin of the femur than lapponica
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jul 21, 2011July 21st, 2011, 8:27 am EDT
Hope that gets us somewhere.

Yes, back to nowhere. :)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 21, 2011July 21st, 2011, 8:38 am EDT
Stay tuned, Kurt. There just may be some light at the end of the taxonomic tunnel....
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jul 21, 2011July 21st, 2011, 9:07 am EDT
Ha! Will do. BTW - those wingpads sure look light for a nymph as close to eclosion as the specimens eye development suggests.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply