Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Oct 4, 2010October 4th, 2010, 3:06 pm EDT
spence
i gotta play both sides of the fence here. in western penna, we play football in the fall and other sports in the winter. one of those sports is hockey. however, we don't use the preface "ice" as you do.
if you need a preface, it's not really hockey. it's probably something like field hockey or street hockey or roller hockey or deck hockey...
hockey and football prepared me to play rugby. it is pure luck that i have retained enough brain cells after all of the years playing these sports (as well as boxing) to tie flies that are just unrealistic enough to fool plenty of fish.
it's a good thing my knees are shot or i might learn to ski...
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Oct 5, 2010October 5th, 2010, 3:02 am EDT
Tony,

The "ice" prefix is due to our proximity, here in De-Troy-it, to Ontario... Hell! If we would of lost a couple more battles up there on the Plains of Abraham we would all still be speaking French-Canadian, eh?! Here its "ice hoak-kay" or something like that. I think we emphasize the "ice" in an elitist way to let everyone know its really the one-true-sport and all the other forms are weak imitations...

You don't know how much it pisses off our Canadian cousins that we had the hutzpah to call Detroit "Hockeytown"!

When we won the Cup in 97 & 98 they did this commercial that ran through the playoffs on Hockey Night in Canada...It was a story with each new commercial telling a little more of the story...It showed these two Canadian boys driving over the Ambassador Bridge from Windsor Ontario in to Detroit. They stood out in front of this disco and watched as some guys (supposed to be Red Wings players) got out of a limo with the Cup and sat it down on the red carpet and in the confusion of getting in to the club had left it sitting there...

Well they picked it up and drove off towards Toronto and each new commercial showed their adventures with "Bringing the Cup Home"...They were mini national heros...It was a hoot!

On the football side of things boys...If it wasn't for college ball we would be out of luck up here...I think I was a one year old the last time the Lions actually roared...Oh well you can understand now my affinity with "ice" hockey, eh?!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Oct 5, 2010October 5th, 2010, 3:09 am EDT
Please accept my apologies, Spence, for going on and on...

Shawn!!! This is Spence you are talking about...Mr. Verbosity himself...I'm just having a little fun with the lunatics on this floor...Remember I also have a bed in this ward...:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Oct 5, 2010October 5th, 2010, 7:43 am EDT
I know, Spence. Just trying to poke a little fun with the irony.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Oct 5, 2010October 5th, 2010, 2:37 pm EDT
To tap the conversation back a bit (or reel y'all in), what is meant by fly-fishing?

Seems that perhaps it encompasses a certain range of techniques and equipment. Just how narrow or just how broad?

Quick Reply