Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Spider
Spider on Jan 28, 2017January 28th, 2017, 3:57 am EST
Wanting to get back into fly fishing. Used to use the Sandy Mite quite a bit but don't know where to buy them locally (Phoenix, AZ). Any suggestions (either stores or on-line)?
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jan 28, 2017January 28th, 2017, 4:50 pm EST
Hi Spider,

Please see fhe following links:

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/advanced/part3.php
http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/threads/help-finding-ox-ear-hair-for-sandy-mite.51808/

Based on your post, I must assume you don't tie your own flies. If that is the case, then perhaps you can find a fly tier who would be willing to tie some for you, as this is a very old pattern, which is seemingly no longer commercially tied.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jan 29, 2017January 29th, 2017, 10:54 pm EST
If you can find someone to tie them, I would expect they wouldn't be cheap. There's a lot of effort in weaving hair hackles. I have never seen any of Pott's patterns for sale commercially, but I'm a North East guy. So maybe calling a shop or two in MT, may lead to a source? Specifically Angler's Roost in Hamilton, MT. since at one time the owner bought Pott's business after he died. Not the current owner but they may have a lead there. I'm sure there are other forums that you could try as well. Good luck. I'm sure you can find someone to sell you a woven body fly with simple wound feather hackle if you are looking for a substitute.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 31, 2017January 31st, 2017, 1:02 am EST
I have a couple "Mites". I found them streamside years ago, still pricked in their little cards with the name and address of the tyer. I believe they were woven and hackled with salt and peppery human hair, and I pictured a crusty old codger living alone in a cabin at streamside -Ted Kaczynsky-style.

So... I guess it's time I looked him up. This is pretty cool:
http://www.spencerewert.com/WesternTroutFlies/FranzPott.html

Turns out he's tyer of my own ilk: Work with what you've got.

Quick Reply