Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on May 22, 2013May 22nd, 2013, 5:44 am EDT
Well it looks like it's that time of year...

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 22, 2013May 22nd, 2013, 8:25 am EDT
Superb photos, as usual. Last year I wanted to tie some nymphs for the Green Drake hatch, and didn't find any photos that gave this kind of detail.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on May 22, 2013May 22nd, 2013, 8:30 am EDT
Very nice.
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on May 22, 2013May 22nd, 2013, 8:51 am EDT
Superb photos, as usual. Last year I wanted to tie some nymphs for the Green Drake hatch, and didn't find any photos that gave this kind of detail.

Thanks Paul and Louis.
Louis, you better get tying. they are about to pop. As you can see this is a male and is about 23mm. The females I have collected are 3-5 mm larger.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 22, 2013May 22nd, 2013, 10:24 am EDT
On it.

--Fred Chappell
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on May 22, 2013May 22nd, 2013, 11:37 am EDT
Louis, I'd like to see your solution for the dorsal gills.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 22, 2013May 22nd, 2013, 5:18 pm EDT
OK, but it's going to cost you some of those diamonds.

--Fred Chappell
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on May 28, 2013May 28th, 2013, 1:45 pm EDT
Nice Eric. Our version here should get going any day, especially since we are warming up into the 80's this week.

In terms of the gills etc, you should look up Bear Andrews' Hex. The after-shaft feather from the pheasant works.

You ever seen Shane Stalcups Green Drake Emerger? Check out Cravens site or "Tying Emergers" from the same guys that did the "Tyer's Benchside Guide".

So where's the green? :)Looks tan to me. That whole family looks that way. Blends in with their sandy/silt bottom where they live.

That Carmel color is interesting. Hard to duplicate.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on May 29, 2013May 29th, 2013, 5:06 am EDT
Thanks Spence. I have seen a bunch of solutions, I was just curious if Louis had his own. I know what I do too ;) Actually if you look at the wingpads you can see a little green. Oh and for a nominal fee I can give you a recipe for that carmel color. and if any of you PA boys are paying attention they are going now...i will breaking in the new fishing vehicle and suffering from lack of sleep for the next couple weeks...
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on May 30, 2013May 30th, 2013, 6:04 pm EDT
...i will breaking in the new fishing vehicle and suffering from lack of sleep for the next couple weeks...

If you hear a storm coming through the mountains...Run!...Don't walk to this new vehicle of yours. If its any taller than the last one you'll be sleeping in the woods. ;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on May 31, 2013May 31st, 2013, 2:57 am EDT
If its any taller than the last one you'll be sleeping in the woods. ;)

Spence

You know Spence the new one is a couple inches taller. And that white pine across the road came immediately to mind when they were parked next to one another. But there is more room for a chainsaw in the new one...
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on May 31, 2013May 31st, 2013, 3:13 pm EDT
I ran into one of the younger guides at a local beer store, the last time up to Grayling. His truck wouldn't start so I gave him a jump, actually Mike gave him the jump. I was teasing him because he actually had jumper cables, a small chainsaw, and a gas powered generator in his truck. What one needs up that way to cover your ass.

Turned out the truck needed an alternator. When one of the boys has a downed vehicle, everyone else has to chip in to help him out. The clients still need to float the river and they can't afford not to work.

Quick Reply