Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jun 21, 2008June 21st, 2008, 10:30 am EDT
I want to try tying some of the large extended-body mayfly patterns from the examples in: "Fly-Fishing Pressured Water", by Lloyd Gonzales (ISBN 978-0-8117-3220-8). http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Fishing-Pressured-Water-Tactics-Todays/dp/0811732207

Where is a good source for purchasing quality dry fly foam for extended bodies?
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jun 21, 2008June 21st, 2008, 10:48 am EDT
John,

The foam I use for large extended bodies is 2mm foam. Although it can be readily purchased through fly-tying suppliers, most craft stores sell very inexpensive sheets of the stuff in many colors.
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jun 21, 2008June 21st, 2008, 10:53 am EDT
Gonzo, what are you calling a craft store? (For my sake and other cheesehead readers.) Also, what do you cut it with? A razor knife?
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jun 21, 2008June 21st, 2008, 11:03 am EDT
Sorry, John. Craft store chains like Michael's or Ben Franklin's are pretty easy to find in my area, but I realize that may not be the case everywhere. I cut foam with a single-edged razor blade, but a razor knife or even scissors would work. Because of the way the tying converts flat foam strips into a rounded shape, a little bit of unevenness in the cutting usually doesn't matter much.
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jun 21, 2008June 21st, 2008, 11:50 am EDT
The jagged edges was my concern. Without a very sharp knife edge I have always found foam doesn't cut clean. Okay, I will see what I can find in craft shops around here on Monday. Plus, I will go to Cabelas next week. You just gave me an excuse to go. :-)

Are you still using the Tiemco 2488 hooks for your Hex/Ephemera extended body patterns?
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jun 21, 2008June 21st, 2008, 12:09 pm EDT
Yes, the 2488 has been my favorite for extended bodies or for the front hook on hinged bodies since its introduction, but the newer Daiichi 1640 dry-fly hook also works very well.
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jun 23, 2008June 23rd, 2008, 5:30 am EDT
Just an update (for others possibly reading this)... I stopped in our local crafts store (Hobby Lobby) and found 12" x 18" x 2mm thick foam sheets for $0.79. (Plus they had 40% off the regular price, so they were really cheap.) They have a lot of colors I didn't feel would really work for fly bodies, but a few earth tone colors and white should work well for extended bodies. I think I bought a lifetime supply for about $3.00! :)

For colored pens I bought a few colors of PrismaColor to try. They had them at 25% off which helps because $3.75 per pen seems a little pricey to me.
Trtklr
Banned
Michigan

Trtklr on Jun 26, 2008June 26th, 2008, 1:36 pm EDT
ok so I haven't done too many extended body mayflies but someone showed me a neat trick to save money on foam. get some copper/brass tubing with an inner diameter the size you want the base of body to be. cut the tubing about 3-4 inches with a pipe cutter. this will leave a sharp edge on one end. next go to the dollar store and buy some cheap flip flops or can cooler made of foam. simply twist the tubing into the foam and presto you have a body for extended mayflies or a post for a parachute syle. you know how many bodies you can get from a dollar pair of flip flops? thats a lot of flies.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jul 9, 2008July 9th, 2008, 10:04 am EDT
Gonzo, I find the foam extended body flies do not float as well or as long as my 30 lb. mono with blended fur extended body flies do.

But my new pontoon boat floats really well!! :)

GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 9, 2008July 9th, 2008, 10:28 am EDT
I'm not sure why that would be, John, but I certainly recommend that you use whatever you (and the fish) like best. As for the boat, I trust that your concerns about losing a rod were mostly unfounded. How was the fishing?
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jul 9, 2008July 9th, 2008, 10:47 am EDT
The foam extended bodies seem to start to sink after a little use. Maybe I am doing something wrong in my tying.

I cut some old flyline and tied it too my flyrod and to the metal frame. Works fine and doesn't interfere with casting. The lake fishing has been slow. Partially due to the strange weather patterns and my lack of experience trying to catch trout in lakes. Nothing hatching on the water to make it easier for me.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 9, 2008July 9th, 2008, 3:20 pm EDT
Maybe I am doing something wrong in my tying.

I suppose it's possible that the foam you found at the craft store was open-cell rather than closed-cell, but I rather doubt that. None of mine has been open-cell. It floats well enough before being tied, doesn't it?

The only thing that comes to mind from a tying standpoint is that you may be using too much thread on the needle or for the segmentation wraps, and the thread is soaking up water. I try to use as few wraps as possible, and I often coat the body with a thin coat of Flexament to seal the thread and increase durability.

I suppose I should also add that I almost always use floatant, even on foam bodies. I find that it helps to shed water from the surface of the foam. Otherwise, the foam still floats, but a bit lower in the water.
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Jul 10, 2008July 10th, 2008, 2:40 am EDT
related topic: does anyone know where to get 0.5mm foam in 8.5 x 11 inch sheets? I can only find it in smaller sizes like 3 x 5
I am haunted by waters

Quick Reply