Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Aug 2, 2011August 2nd, 2011, 4:37 pm EDT
has anyone tried the extended body wire 'bases' available from Renzetti? or made their own? I ran across this in an online video and am considering some home-brewed versions.
I fish a fair number of drakes, hexes, etc,and after tying and trying deer-hair, dubbed, and foam extended bodies this new-to-me system looks really interesting.

see ya' on The Rogue!
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 3, 2011August 3rd, 2011, 6:29 pm EDT
Haven't tried it. I did get some orthodontic wire from my daughter's orthodontist, thinking it might have a fly tying application, though. Perhaps that would be it. Good luck; let us know how it worked. I made some extended bodies with furled polyyarn this season and they worked OK.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Roguerat
Roguerat on Aug 4, 2011August 4th, 2011, 6:47 am EDT
I tried paper-clips last night, guess the steel is too soft since I had a lot of flexing when wrapping on...next try is stainless wire (since I've got 2 kids in braces, your method sounds really hopeful!). I'll keep you posted on progress here.

I've also tried the Stalcup method of a needle wrapped with thread/dubbing, it looks great but doesn't hold up well under repeated casting- inadvertantly ended up with a crippled hex dun which also looked great- at least to me.
Roguerat
Roguerat on Aug 5, 2011August 5th, 2011, 8:40 am EDT
Roguerat
Roguerat on Aug 5, 2011August 5th, 2011, 8:46 am EDT
well, I tried the SS wire for a base. it doesn't deform under wrapping tension but has a fair amount of 'give' and springiness. If I ever get my camera to upload properly I'll post some pictures of the wire and results as I progress on this effort.

I'm still thinking of sliding stiff mono into the completed extended body, hoping to give it more support and maybe a somewhat longer casting lifespan.

I Peter 5:7...'Cast your cares upon Him'
Roguerat
Roguerat on Aug 8, 2011August 8th, 2011, 6:05 am EDT
making some progress here; after experimentation on Hexes in sz 8 and 10 I dropped down to a sz 12 for a Grey Drake pattern since they'e popping up on The Muskegon now. I waxed the wire-base first then laid down a length of small-dia. stiff mono running length-ways, then the foam over that. the rest of the process is usual of wrapping forward to create segmentation then tying it all on the hook shank.

to keep the extended body from looking too rotund I also switched to 1 mm foam, hence the added mono for strength.

Quick Reply