Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Nov 17, 2009November 17th, 2009, 9:15 am EST
Anyone from Troutnut going to be there? It's at the Doubletree Hotel in Somerset, NJ, Nov. 21 and 22. I will be set up there, so if you are able to attend, please stop by and say hello.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Nov 18, 2009November 18th, 2009, 4:02 am EST
see you there, Shawn!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Eagles928
Lansdale, PA

Eagles928 on Nov 18, 2009November 18th, 2009, 2:36 pm EST
I will be there one day, fishing the other day. See ya there Shawn
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Nov 18, 2009November 18th, 2009, 10:43 pm EST
Glad to hear a few Troutnuts will be joining me - I look forward to seeing you guys. Eagles, you'll have to introduce yourself. Casey, is your BFB going to be there, as well?

I'm anticipating a really good show. Should be fun.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture

CaseyP on Nov 19, 2009November 19th, 2009, 6:42 am EST
Shawn, BFB is on the mend from pneumonia, of all things, so i'm solo. too bad, but better be conservative. and i'm leaving the credit cards at home!!
BTW, any suggestions for a pink feather that would make a cheek on a #4 Carrie Stephens streamer? figure the answer will be there if anywhere.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Nov 19, 2009November 19th, 2009, 7:37 am EST
Sorry to hear BFB isn't doing so well. I hope he recovers soon.

Do you mean a bona fide Stevens streamer or one tied in that style? I don't know any of her patterns that use a pink shoulder. Red shoulders are pretty common in her patterns, though, and they are typically dyed chicken or duck breast. I know John McLain of FeathersMC will be at the show, and he has a tremendous selection of Stevens streamer hackles in really nice, authentic colors. I don't know if he sells chicken or duck breast feathers, though.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture

CaseyP on Nov 20, 2009November 20th, 2009, 3:32 am EST
nope, just Stevens-style. it's for a swap of "one color" flies. ran across some dyed mallard in florescent pink in a catalog, so if i strike out this weekend, it's on to the web.

Quick Reply