Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Jun 23, 2010June 23rd, 2010, 3:02 pm EDT
here is the latest on a fellow who used to hang around here before he got successful and really, really busy.

http://www.midcurrent.com/news/2010/06/made-for-hollywood-the-ultra-r.html
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 23, 2010June 23rd, 2010, 5:08 pm EDT
Wow, really cool article. I'm glad to see him doing so well tying realistics! It's very clever of him to find such a good way to make a living doing that.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jun 23, 2010June 23rd, 2010, 5:41 pm EDT
Thanks for the update, Casey. Graham is a really nice guy. Good for him!
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jun 25, 2010June 25th, 2010, 2:23 pm EDT
Good stuff, Casey - thanks for sharing. I know (and I'm sure Gonzo would agree) how difficult it is to make money in this industry. Truly, we all, from the amateur to the "professional", do it as a labor of love. It is rare to find someone with the unique talents and business savvy to make money with his ideas. Graham is one of those people, and he deserves everything he gets. Though I've not met him personally, every interaction I've ever seen him involved in has demonstrated that he is a first-class guy. All the very best in his endeavors. Oh, and what a tier!

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jun 25, 2010June 25th, 2010, 3:13 pm EDT
I know (and I'm sure Gonzo would agree) how difficult it is to make money in this industry.

Shawn, I abandoned any notion of making money long before my book was published, and that lack of expectation has served me well. The same could be said of my life as a whole--I have always had only a passing aquaintance with income. :)

You and Graham, on the other hand, have created unique forms of artistic expression, and I wish you both the very best--financially and otherwise.

Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jun 26, 2010June 26th, 2010, 2:32 am EDT
I abandoned any notion of making money long before my book was published, and that lack of expectation has served me well.

Well put, Gonzo. I'm certainly no businessman myself, just a guy with a really expensive tying habit he's trying to pay off. It's fun, but someday I'm sure I'll wish I'd spent more time on the water and less at the vise.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Flatstick96
Flatstick96's profile picture
Flatstick96 on Jun 26, 2010June 26th, 2010, 3:51 am EDT
Shawnny,

I've got a solution that will address both your desire to tie and your desire to fish:

Take a break from the fancy stuff and spend the next four weeks tying "fishable" flies, then spend the next three weeks after that fishing them with me.

After that, you'll probably want a break from both for awhile.

Also, I got the print, and it's fantastic - thanks! I'm going to put it up today.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 27, 2010June 27th, 2010, 5:03 am EDT
Shawn, if you need some "fishable" patterns, look under honeybug inchworm and hairy honeybug in this forum. I"m sure you'll be delighted. Each fly takes about twenty seconds to tie. :)
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jun 27, 2010June 27th, 2010, 5:45 am EDT
Thank you for the suggestions, gentlemen - I'll keep both in mind. I presume, Louis, that there are detailed instructions on the pages you referenced? I wouldn't want to mis-tie one of those venerable patterns.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Flatstick96
Flatstick96 on Jun 28, 2010June 28th, 2010, 3:16 am EDT
You might want to mix in a few green weenies too, just for variety...
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jun 28, 2010June 28th, 2010, 4:05 am EDT
I'll tell you what, Flatstick - I'll mail you some chenille and you can tie whatever you want with it.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Flatstick96
Flatstick96 on Jun 28, 2010June 28th, 2010, 5:27 am EDT
Thanks, but I think I already have some - the legendary Green Weenie is the one fly I can actually tie all by myself. I'm hoping to soon master the Walt's Worm and add that to my arsenal...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 9, 2010July 9th, 2010, 9:53 am EDT
Shawn, I see you found the directions. ;>
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 12, 2010July 12th, 2010, 4:58 pm EDT
Shawn, I see you found the directions. ;>

Indeed, I did. I don't see why you felt the need to justify yourself on that other thread, though - you are nothing if not a gentleman, Louis.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply