Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 14, 2010May 14th, 2010, 2:24 pm EDT
Spence, I might just take you up on option #2 as I don't expect that ANYONE can help me with option #1 at this point. I just talked to my, as I call him, once and future boss today and we DIDN'T get the Baldwin project - they said we all OVERBID (as in all the applicants came in too high on the price of doing the work) and they were looking for something cheaper...So, NO, you won't all be coming to fish the PM with me this summer. If he can't get me work, I doubt anyone else can, considering that he starting putting my name & resume in his proposals starting last October. So, YES, especially since I haven't dated in a while, a whorehouse (never been before) might be a good safety valve.

However, more realistically, less expensive (perhaps, depending on how many intoxicants I down while there), and safer from a DISEASE perspective (I confess that I HATE condoms), I need to go do some FREAKING TROUT FISHING!!!!!! With this in mind, I'm planning, since I don't have to plan for work any time soon, to head UP NORTH at least as far as the Tawas/Oscoda area, and possibly the Cheboygan/Pellston/U of M Bio Station region (both old stomping grounds) to pursue brookies, browns, and rainbows. Quite possibly also, Tawas Bay or Douglas Lake with my kayak and 8-weight for smallies and pike and whatever feels like chomping down on some giant streamers (3/0 - 6/0) I tied last summer for such leviathons. Fishing around here has been frustrating - my local lake isn't giving up much lately, not even in the BLUEGILL department, and Paint Creek, unenthusiastic as I am usually about it, can't possibly be fishable for awhile after these heavy rains we've had. So, north I need to be a-going sometime in the next week or two to get some relief from the constant frustration of unemployment, city life, bickering 77-year-old parents, and piss-poor fishing.

Hey, if you have any plans yourself, Spence, perhaps we could hook up somewhere in there. I'll put you on top of Rifle fish if you put me on top of AuSable fish - deal?? I guess I had better start tying up some fresh dries...However, I can't promise not to be throwing around my Killer Bass Flies, especially after my copper/brown variant hooked me into a 20"+ brown up on the Pigeon two summers ago (which sadly I lost). I promise not to rant too much, which I doubt I will be doing once I get into some nice cool water under the northern white-cedars and speckled alders with dancing mayflies and sipping trout. Or, lacking the mayflies and sipping trout, out come the #10 Royal Wulffs...

BTW, thanks for your compliments on my posts. I have considered the possibility of submitting articles to magazines, but I need some big fat fish photos to go along with them, which means I should invest in a waterproof digital camera sometime. Or actually go fishing WITH someone else for a change! And of course, I always enjoy your posts, though I am usually exhausted after reading them... ;oD

Jonathon

P.S. I'll give you a heads-up when I'm thinking about going.
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 14, 2010May 14th, 2010, 2:28 pm EDT
P.S. In a tiny but absolutely necessary bit of relief, I actually found 4 MORELS in the woods near where my folks (and I for the moment) live. They weren't the prettiest morels I've ever found, but they sure were yummy!!
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply