Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Jan 13, 2010January 13th, 2010, 12:48 pm EST
looks like a very slight warming trend has arrived here in So. Cen. PA. it was a balmy 38 degrees on the ski slope this afternoon.

so obviously it's time to go fishing tomorrow! i have NO idea what to try in a winter this deep on the Little J or Spruce Creek. gnats? blue winged olives? midge larvae/pupae? good ole bead headed pheasant tail? all of the above until something works?

all i do know is small. anyone got some ideas?
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 13, 2010January 13th, 2010, 12:58 pm EST
Find some slow and relatively deep pools on the LJ. Rig up a 9' 5X leader with a #16 - #18 BH PT and a #16 - #18BH BH Peeking caddis below. Put an indicator about a foot higher than the depth of the pool and flip it up and float it down. Let us know how you do.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture

CaseyP on Jan 13, 2010January 13th, 2010, 1:57 pm EST
Thanks! i'll let you know how it works...;-)
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 13, 2010January 13th, 2010, 5:23 pm EST
This is out of your area guys, but here in Michigan, it's time to hit the steelhead...just tied up a couple of Spring Nymphs for such, but I need to get longer squirrel hair...also, a red-eyed KBF in copper & brown. My latest plan to beat the winter blues: X/C ski on the cold snowy days and throw flies at steelhead during the warm soggy ones. I will survive!!!!!!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture

CaseyP on Jan 14, 2010January 14th, 2010, 11:56 am EST
gorgeous, gorgeous day. my companion, otherwise known as 2nd Best Fishing Buddy, got three lovely browns on the BHPT. i, right next to her, got nothing, and neither did the other guy we saw. see? luck does matter...we fished a tributary to the little J which shall remain nameless because the world fishes there already. weather was sunny, calm (where we were) and 45 degrees.
BHPT557
BHPT557 on Jan 17, 2010January 17th, 2010, 3:57 am EST
Hey, I like to believe I demonstrated a modicum of skill.
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Jan 17, 2010January 17th, 2010, 8:56 am EST
On the January thaw,I caught a very pretty Steelhead,thought I would share.

Best
JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture

CaseyP on Jan 17, 2010January 17th, 2010, 9:44 am EST
Hey, I like to believe I demonstrated a modicum of skill.

well, well: found your way over here at last! yep, we're both streets ahead of where we were last year--some of us further than others!

pretty soon they might let us go fishing with them...
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 17, 2010January 17th, 2010, 11:22 am EST
Nice winter steelhead - colors seem to indicate it hasn't been in the stream very long if it had it would normally be much darker.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
UPTroutBum
Marquette, MI

UPTroutBum on Jan 18, 2010January 18th, 2010, 4:50 am EST
Ya, that looks more like a resident rainbow, but either way nice trout.

We also had temps in the high 30's this weekend and I landed two rainbows on stonefly nymphs in some water below a hydro dam. One of them was a crazy jumper, it looked like a dolphin going head first back into the water to take a lil bit of line. It sure made winter up here just a lil more tolerable.
" The true fisherman approaches the first day of fishing season with
all the sense of wonder and awe of a child approaching Christmas." John Voelker

Quick Reply