Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionRiver Wharfe, Yorkshire, England
Specific Locationvarious
Dates Fished9/17-23
Time of Dayday and eve
Fish Caughttrout and a grayling
Conditions & Hatchesmostly cloudy, temps in the 50s--yeah, it was cold, but it didn't rain
low, clear water
sporadic hatches of "pale watery" and "little olive" mayflies (think PMD and BWO--same flies worked.)

Details and Discussion

CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Sep 26, 2009September 26th, 2009, 10:41 am EDT
back to old Blighty for another try at those English fish. one day with the same excellent guide as 7/2007 at Bolton Abbey, one day on my own at Burnsall, and two evenings at a rare, tiny public access point on the river within walking distance of my hosts' house.

while outrageous success was not my lot, i never got skunked and did catch my first grayling. well, actually i caught 5 or six of them, but all but one were tiny grayling of the future. i had assumed they were chub as they shot past my ear because they had that extra-slippery wigglyness to them, but Excellent Guide set me straight.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 27, 2009September 27th, 2009, 3:12 am EDT
Thanks for sharing, Casey. These trips sound like mountains of fun. Congratulations on the grayling!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply