Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flytyer
Flytyer on Aug 24, 2006August 24th, 2006, 4:19 am EDT
so i went to chapters and bought a book and i started and the only fishing spot ive been going to is a pool in the tailwaters of the bearspaw dam and i read in this book that has barley any trout just these tiny little minnows 3" long and some arctic grayling then i almost hooked a 24" brown just outside of the pool!!!
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Aug 24, 2006August 24th, 2006, 4:33 am EDT
Gotta love that! When there aren't very many trout in a stream full of minnows, a trout that gets big enough to eat them can grow really really fast. There's one near where my parents live in Wisconsin that's like that.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply