Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flyfisher06
argyle ny near saratoga

Flyfisher06 on Jun 19, 2009June 19th, 2009, 2:51 pm EDT

IF I am not flyfishing or bird hunting I must be doing something bad like working !!
Flyfisher06
argyle ny near saratoga

Flyfisher06 on Jun 19, 2009June 19th, 2009, 2:56 pm EDT
Hi if someone knows what I did wrong I tried posting some pics of my English Setters litter and some pics of my kids enjoying birdhunting and flyfishing but all that came up were these links . I was using copy and paste. Thanks Todd
IF I am not flyfishing or bird hunting I must be doing something bad like working !!
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 19, 2009June 19th, 2009, 3:32 pm EDT
I fixed it for you. The img tags have to be lower-case. Lots of people have that problem... it's a programming oversight on my part.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Flyfisher06
argyle ny near saratoga

Flyfisher06 on Jun 19, 2009June 19th, 2009, 4:37 pm EDT
Jason I want to deeply thank you for letting me post my pics here and helping me get the pics up,I wish I had gotten to meet you before you moved to Alaska I am only a few hours away from your old stomping grounds.THANK YOU. Any way friends the 2 English Setters together are Lucy and Eebee and the pups are their litter that was whelped on Sunday night 6/14/09. I bred them to keep a 22 year lineage from my original setter {RIP} Lyons Ridge Spuds. Spuds was Eebees grandfatherand Eebee is now 8 years old so I needed to breed him now.Eebee comes from a long genetic pool of grouse champions.Spuds was right out of Grouse Ridge Kennels .Lucy is a pure Llewellyn and with their combined genepool I am sure the grouse and woodcock are already moving out of Washington county to avoid running into them . Sorry but I will probably keep 2 so only 7 will be available .Also as you can see Lucy and Eebee arent just dogs they are family.Jamie is my oldest he just finished his second year of college ,the pic of him was 2 years ago in the Esopus River with a small but wild rainbow {we assumed}.My beautiful older daughter Brianna is not in these pics she is not into fishing and hunting. Tyler is now 14 that is him 2 years ago holding his first pheasant that Eebee's sister Jordan pointed for him.My beautiful younger daughter is dilligently working a nymph 2 years ago in the Esopus ,she was 10 then,just a few weeks ago she landed her first trout a 15 inch Brownie in the Battenkill .The other pic is a 17 inch brownie I caught last year in the Battenkill,I did not harm it I took a quick pic and set it free ,it was lying next to my good friend Orvis T-3.If anyone is interested in the pups IM me and we can talk .Thank you for putting up with my babble but I hope you all enjoyed it. Also once again Thank You Jason for your help and I am sure I speak for everyone whe I say thanks for this wonderful website!! Todd
Flyfisher06
argyle ny near saratoga

Flyfisher06 on Jun 21, 2009June 21st, 2009, 4:57 pm EDT

Seven days after the pups were whelped Lucy was pointing birds two singles today and a clutch of 5 Friday after work with Eebee the sire backing,Sorry no pics from Friday we forgot the cam.The other pic is my daughter Emma with her favorite. Enjoy Todd
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 23, 2009June 23rd, 2009, 3:36 pm EDT
Cute puppies! I fixed the images for you again. You need to use lower-case "img" not upper-case "IMG" for the to work. It's an oversight I made when programming the site.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 30, 2009June 30th, 2009, 12:16 pm EDT
WOOF WOOF!!
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Flyfisher06
argyle ny near saratoga

Flyfisher06 on Jul 1, 2009July 1st, 2009, 2:28 pm EDT
Thanks for all your help Jason and the compliments on my dogs I am extremely new at this picture posting stuff a friend told me I had to download it to a website like photo bucket then copy and paste from there and that is all I know now when you say change to lower case do you mean only the 3 letters img or the whole line ? Thanks Todd
Flyfisher06
argyle ny near saratoga

Flyfisher06 on Jul 25, 2009July 25th, 2009, 9:53 am EDT
Hello Friends the pups are almost ready to move on they are 6 weeks old now anyone interested please contact me Thanks Todd I will try to get some new pics up soon!!

Quick Reply