Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on May 7, 2009May 7th, 2009, 2:52 am EDT
If you were going to shop for fly tying hackle online where would you start? Also, what words would you use if searching online?

Thanks for any input!
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 7, 2009May 7th, 2009, 3:12 am EDT
Hi John,

I'd use terms such as Whiting hackle, Keough hackle, Metz hackle, saddles, necks, and fly tying hackle. Also Whiting 100's.

If I buy online, and I am less inclined to do so more and more, I tend to stick with Whiting, which I believe provides more consistent feathers. I may purchase non Whiting hackles from someone I believe will choose carefully, if I know such a person.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 7, 2009May 7th, 2009, 9:47 am EDT
Yeah, I just order Whiting. It's kind of expensive, but I don't go through it very fast just tying for personal use. I've never lived somewhere with a local fly shop that routinely carried other stuff better than Whiting gold-grade.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on May 7, 2009May 7th, 2009, 3:14 pm EDT
Sorry guys I am working on a website project. I am not asking you if you buy locally or online. I am looking for those who buy online what **keywords** you would use when searching online. There are a lot of FF'ers who don't live next to fly shops or cannot find exactly what they are looking for locally who end up buying online, that is the targeted audience.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 8, 2009May 8th, 2009, 5:29 pm EDT
Aha! Good that you clarified intent.

I would search for "whiting gold hackle."

Having just tried that to see how I'd do, I find that Whiting doesn't grade their hackle anymore... so there's no gold/silver/bronze, just Whiting hackle.

Of course, if you're making a site for one of their competitors, that wouldn't make much sense.

Really, though, don't rely on a handful of anecdotal guesses from us... get WordTracker or whatever the latest, greatest keyword tool is. I haven't followed them for a couple years.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on May 9, 2009May 9th, 2009, 12:16 am EDT
Jason, I use WordTracker and I use Google's keyword tool all the time, but I still like to get some feedback from the targeted audience. Feedback can also help find differences from various geo-regions, as well as find products they may not be normally selling... example - Whiting 100 packs.
Patcrisci
Lagrangeville, NY

Patcrisci on May 12, 2009May 12th, 2009, 5:57 am EDT
I recently bought Whiting hackle thru Cabela's and am completely satisfied.
Pat Crisci

Quick Reply