Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Blackghost
Blackghost on Apr 30, 2009April 30th, 2009, 4:24 am EDT
will the goldribbed hares ear be considered a fly that could imitate a caddis larva and stone fly in a variety of colors.
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Apr 30, 2009April 30th, 2009, 6:10 am EDT
The hares ear can imitate a lot of things, however I doubt that it will do well w/ either that you mention. I use it primarily as a generic mayfly, usually for march brown,cahill type clinger nymphs.
jeff
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Apr 30, 2009April 30th, 2009, 1:11 pm EDT
Blackghost,
welcome! you've come to the right place to learn about the bugs, and the folks on the forum are pretty good at helping you choose a pattern to imitate what you need to. then you can google the pattern if you need tying directions.

caddis larvae are usually little worm-shaped things that live in tubes, so their fly patterns don't have wing cases or ribbing or tails. instead, think of a suitably colored dubbing that would match the stream bottom on a straight nymph hook, with a bit of bright green or tan or yellowish at one end to represent the head peeking out. or just the green worm itself tied on a curved hook. there is a famous pattern called the Green Weenie which will catch trout (though some purists don't admit to using it!)

stone fly nymphs are much more complicated with wing case arrangements and legs and all. they are, i think, larger than your average GRHE.

as LittleJ points out, your GRHE is great for mayfly nymphs, like the sulphur and March Brown, which will be busy hatching in Pennsylvania in the next few weeks. you don't mention where you're fishing, but i think those bugs are pretty common.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Patcrisci
Lagrangeville, NY

Patcrisci on May 1, 2009May 1st, 2009, 3:01 am EDT
when trout are on nymphs, the GRHE in one of three shades (mottled fur dubbing of tan/gray/brown) in either light, medium, or dark, will take fish. The key is having the right size and putting the fly where it will do business. Sometimes that's on the stream bottom, or near the surface of the water, or somewhere in between. This fly in any of its many varieties, fished where the fish are looking for it, will take trout year round. In bigger sizes, weighted, it makes a passable stonefly imitation too. If you want to imitate a caddis try a GRHE wet fly.
Pat Crisci
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 2, 2009May 2nd, 2009, 10:40 pm EDT
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply