Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Dec 22, 2015December 22nd, 2015, 3:33 am EST
'Night fishing is awesome...'

Maybe if I bow-fished for carp or gar...I've never fly-fished under stadium-type lighting!
To each their own, I guess. 'Tis the season to hawk one's wares!

Back to reality and all things fly- Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all, spending time with family and friends, and a respite from the grind!

Roguerat
MiltRPowell
MiltRPowell on Dec 22, 2015December 22nd, 2015, 5:50 am EST
I would like all my friends & family to be happy.
And for me ta just get in some more fishing on the fly 2016, & hunting new fishing back water creeks. Good or bad luck getting in these spots is price-less to me.
To all have great closing to everyone's year. And may next year get off to a great start.
Milt....
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
Strmanglr
Strmanglr's profile picture
Strmanglr on Dec 24, 2015December 24th, 2015, 5:09 pm EST
I want to find a new creek that holds huge trout!

Finally the flies I want n should have tied in my box come April.

Leaders organized...n tippet

Patience, perfect presentation.

End of the zebra mussel.

Asian carp gone..

Oh,yeah, a few hundred mil n a drift boat.

PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Dec 26, 2015December 26th, 2015, 8:04 am EST
I got an awesome snow shovel!

Happy holidays all! Looking forward to future discussions here.
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Dec 27, 2015December 27th, 2015, 4:49 am EST
I didn't get a pony. That's 61 straight years.
PaulRoberts
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Dec 27, 2015December 27th, 2015, 7:30 am EST
Sorry to hear, Bruce. Maybe next year.
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Dec 27, 2015December 27th, 2015, 4:29 pm EST
I'm certainly no quitter, Paul. You're right, could be next year.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 30, 2015December 30th, 2015, 5:46 pm EST
Got a nice Randall fishing knife from my Dad - guess he's finally out of guns to give me...Got to go fly fishing on a sunny 45 degree Christmas Day at my hometown lake, alas nary a bite but it felt good to work out the casting arm (and get off the couch!!) and I saw a muskrat so big I thought it was a beaver! No signs of any lodge or chewings though...

We did get snow up here, but it's the wet and sloppy kind, not the greatest for skiing. Waiting for the ice! And my .22 indoor league starts on Monday. Happy New Year everybody and GO MICHIGAN STATE!!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PaulRoberts
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Dec 31, 2015December 31st, 2015, 3:51 am EST
Sounds like a nice winter ahead, Jonathan.
TimCat
TimCat's profile picture
Alanson, MI

TimCat on Dec 31, 2015December 31st, 2015, 9:44 am EST
I got a cabela's gift card for $100! I think I'm gonna go get a 3 or 4-weight rod with it... maybe a new hair-stacker too.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jan 2, 2016January 2nd, 2016, 7:54 pm EST
GO MICHIGAN STATE!!!

Ouch!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 3, 2016January 3rd, 2016, 11:33 am EST
Let's just not talk about it, Spence...

(no smiley face this time either)

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply