Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Leakywaders
New England

Leakywaders on Dec 23, 2008December 23rd, 2008, 3:05 am EST
I'm hoping for a wide rubber band to use as a leader straightner. What are you hoping Santa will bring down the chimney??
Drag free??? If the fly didn't drag, I wouldn't know where it was!!
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Dec 23, 2008December 23rd, 2008, 10:06 am EST
A winning powerball ticket, But I'd settle for those simms convertible mittens.
Jeff
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Dec 23, 2008December 23rd, 2008, 10:50 am EST
I want to be as tall as L Martin.
I want to lose 10 pounds and 20 years.
I want to tie flies as good as Lloyd
I want to never run low of Crown Royal.

In that order.

John JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Dec 24, 2008December 24th, 2008, 2:52 am EST
a merry and peaceful Christmahannukwanzaka for everyone!

and a spool of #5 tippet that will never run out on the stream...
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Dec 24, 2008December 24th, 2008, 5:02 am EST
I wish that all your days are filled with, love, good health, prosperity and happiness.

I wish that during times of hardship, consolation will continue to be found on the water.

I wish you all happy holidays.

Sincerely, Falsifly

Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Dec 24, 2008December 24th, 2008, 5:52 am EST
I'd love a canon 70-300mm f2.8 image stabilized lens. But in reality I'll be very pleased with a 2009 liscense and trout stamp.

In all seriousness I wish each and every one of you a safe, healthy and happy (well at least bearable) new year.
JW

P.S. a "normal" water year would also be nice but I don't want to sound greedy or anything.
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Wetfly1
Johnstown, Pa

Wetfly1 on Dec 24, 2008December 24th, 2008, 7:45 am EST
I would want my son to come home more often to fish with me in the 09 season. Missing those old days alot and missing that father son bonding thing.

Happy Holidays To All
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 24, 2008December 24th, 2008, 10:41 am EST
Just some hooks and leader material. I have too much of the other stuff already.

Oh, John D, I promise to show you where that underwater rock is that I stand on to keep from getting water over my waders when fishing the end of that deep run. It just makes me look taller. :)

John W. Thanks for the reminder on the license. As you know, some of us can forget details like that just after the 1st. :)

Casey, Jeff, and everyone else, thanks for the good wishes and gift ideas, though along with Casey I'll be looking for a while for that special tippet. And those Simms mittens sound toasty, Jeff--I'll have to check them out for later.

Warmest Christmas wishes to all, and a new year of good fishing to boot.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Dec 24, 2008December 24th, 2008, 10:45 am EST
I want my flight out of Seattle to not be canceled. I've been stuck here for days in a cheap hotel... I was supposed to be home Sunday night. I should be getting home late Christmas night if nothing goes wrong.

It's not really the weather's fault, like they're saying on the news. The airlines took too many shortcuts to cut costs, and it left them unprepared for even a moderate snowstorm.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Leakywaders
New England

Leakywaders on Dec 24, 2008December 24th, 2008, 11:57 am EST
Cleaning out the chimney, and making cookies!!!!!
Drag free??? If the fly didn't drag, I wouldn't know where it was!!
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Dec 20, 2015December 20th, 2015, 3:16 pm EST
Merry Christmas to all and to all--Tight Lines!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 20, 2015December 20th, 2015, 8:19 pm EST
To you and yours, Casey, and to all Troutnuts.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 20, 2015December 20th, 2015, 10:07 pm EST
Have a wonderful Christmas with our families.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Dec 21, 2015December 21st, 2015, 4:44 am EST
I want a pony.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Dec 21, 2015December 21st, 2015, 6:24 am EST
Yeah, Merry Christmas everyone and tight lines in the New Year!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 21, 2015December 21st, 2015, 12:12 pm EST
All I want for Christmas is some colder weather so I can go skiing and especially ice fishing! Dang, it's been over a month since I've wet a line...gonna be taking the fly gear down when I visit my folks this week because there's no sign of ice around here in the near future...maybe I can catch one last bass or sunfish or crappie??

Well, the way it looks, I might just have to try - brrrrr - steelhead fishing again this winter...

Let's see, how can I put this in the most PC, least offensive way possible:

"Seasons Greetings to You and Yours"...there, is that generic enough???

Merry Christmas and tight lines to everyone!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 21, 2015December 21st, 2015, 12:38 pm EST
I say Merry Christmas to everyone unless I know they are Jewish or followers of Allah.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 21, 2015December 21st, 2015, 3:30 pm EST
To each their own, for me this time of year is not about religion but about getting together with friends and family - especially around LOTS of food, putting up lots of lights to fend off the long dark nights, and gift giving. This year I dug into some of my nature photography archives and printed out some nice shots, bought frames and plan on giving these as gifts. You guys all know how danged many wildflower shots I take...except my biologist/herpetologist daughter, who got three frog shots and a nice milk snake, and a pic for my buddy Joe his first time with a full set of fly gear on. And a pic for my folks of me holding a nice bass I caught this year.

It's fun to make gifts for folks as opposed to buying them, when one can. One year I tied up a box full of flies for a good buddy who was just getting into the sport, a full range of dries, nymphs, wets, and streamers.

Happy Holidays however you celebrate or worship!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Kiven
Kiven's profile picture
Escondido

Kiven on Dec 21, 2015December 21st, 2015, 4:16 pm EST
I would love to have the Kiven prtable work light.It's good for night fishing,i hope my lover can allow me to buy one at amazon.I really like night fishing the experience is awesome.
http://www.amazon.com/Kiven-Portable-Rechargeable-Spotlights-Lighting/dp/B017SB99KK/ref=sr_1_10?m=A786TE60PH9V5&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1450750227&sr=1-10
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 22, 2015December 22nd, 2015, 3:04 am EST
After checking out Kiven's link (aka Bill Tang) I would venture to say I bet Bill as never picked up a fishing rod n his life especially considering this is his very first post and he added a link to his business.

Quick Reply