Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jul 10, 2006July 10th, 2006, 1:42 pm EDT
I just tied a nice size 12 BWO cripple pattern, and as I was holding it up to my eye to admire closely I accidentally dropped it, and -- POOF -- it came to life and flew away. At least, that's what must have happened, because I sure as heck can't find it on this carpet.

It's yet another danger of making the fly too realistic...
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 10, 2006July 10th, 2006, 2:53 pm EDT
Jason-

Think magnet!
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Steelie
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Steelie on Aug 18, 2006August 18th, 2006, 7:44 am EDT
Good Day,

Ha ha... don't you love it. I like the fact that the floor under my desk is hard wood. Much less like to lose the buggers. And Taxon is right... magnet...

Steelie
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Aug 18, 2006August 18th, 2006, 7:59 am EDT
I just moved a couple weeks ago into a new place with hardwood floors... it's nice! I even dropped a size 30 Baetid spinner (no hook or anything -- the real bug) on the floor and managed to find it. :)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Buster
Buster on Aug 26, 2006August 26th, 2006, 11:58 pm EDT
Poof,I like that,If all else fails you might wrap duct tape around your fingers and gently pat the area
Fishingguru
Southeastern PA

Fishingguru on Sep 2, 2006September 2nd, 2006, 4:38 am EDT
Simply walk around the room barefoot..........
Lav
Orvis4wt
Colorado

Orvis4wt on Jul 21, 2007July 21st, 2007, 6:38 am EDT
How could you not find a #12 BWO, I could find a tied BWO that big in the middle of a hatch and I'm blind.. just kidding good luck..Tie bigger flies..
orvis4wt
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 21, 2007July 21st, 2007, 8:23 am EDT
Jeff (4wt) makes a good--and funny--point. Once, however, when I went to meet Norm Shires for a photography session, he met me at the door with a grim expression. He said he had been setting up to photograph a fly when it popped from the holder, and neither he nor his wife could find it anywhere in the house. The fly was a #12 Pink Lady. Personally, I think these flies are grabbed by trout from another dimension. Now, if Jason or Norm had just had the foresight to attach them to a line and rod . . . .
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 21, 2007July 21st, 2007, 8:32 am EDT
I'm with Gonzo on this, though I also believe that tiny wormholes may be created by the psychic vortex due to intensive tying sessions, and that they too are responsible when flies and materials disappear. Usually it's a fly with perfectly matched and set cut wings. Which actually argues more for the trout from the Twilight Zone theory.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 21, 2007July 21st, 2007, 8:47 am EDT
Hey, Louis, that "psychic vortex" thing might explain why there are more than a thousand registered members on this site--they get sucked into the vortex, never to be heard from again! :)
JMarcus
Bellingham, WA

JMarcus on Sep 14, 2007September 14th, 2007, 6:20 pm EDT
Given time--Your toe will know...

Jmarcus
http://wwwflyrodjewelry.com
J Marcus
http://www.flyrodjewelry.com
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Sep 16, 2007September 16th, 2007, 10:11 am EDT
Have no fear,this can all be explained with quantum mechanics.Obviously the probability wave has broken down. The probability wave being: A wave in quantum mechanics that encodes the probability that a particle will be found at a given location.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Sep 17, 2007September 17th, 2007, 10:09 am EDT
Geez, haven't you guys ever heard of...Fly Gnomes? You know, like the ones that misplace your car keys just for fun? If you find a funny little hole in your garden, dig it up and you might just find enough flies to last you a lifetime...or, a very pissed off skunk! Be careful...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Zap
Call it albany ny

Zap on Nov 18, 2007November 18th, 2007, 9:34 am EST
I agreewith Marcus. A size 18 olive emerger ended up in our's cat's paw. Most expensive fly I've ever tiedI
Flybinder
Oregon Coast

Flybinder on Nov 19, 2007November 19th, 2007, 10:42 am EST
I'd suggest the best bet being...... take ALL the hints, given so far, and "rip up the carpet, install hard wood flooring, then wrap duct tape...around your bare foot, attach a magnet to your big toe and pat the area in question with your foot.
If THAT doesn't work, then go to where the 11,376 single socks are hiding, that have disappeared in every clothes dryer known to mankind and I'd bet your fly will be there!! Probably playing poker with D.B.Cooper and Jimmy Hoffa, too, no doubt!?
And, don't feel bad. I lost a fly reel, right here, in my tying room over 2 years ago and it STILL has not surfaced!?!
Flybinder:
"You should'a been here, NEXT week,the fishing's great!"
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 19, 2007November 19th, 2007, 3:35 pm EST
I had a fly reel disappear on me too, but it was after a fishing trip to a local pond. Nice one, too - Orvis Battenkill 3-4 with a nice line on it. However, I have since replaced it with a Cabelas CSR #1 and now I like that reel even more...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Flybyknight
Milton, DE

Flybyknight on Nov 20, 2007November 20th, 2007, 9:37 am EST
What's worse:
hook in cat's paw,
or
hook in dog's tongue,
or
hook in the little lady's toe?

I am constantly dropping stuff off of the bench and as the above posters have stated, the stuff is gone for good.
SOP now is a quick look, followed by the vacuum cleaner.

Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Nov 20, 2007November 20th, 2007, 10:01 am EST
those sticky rollers that get Muffin's hair off your tuxedo will also lift hooks from short-pile carpet. you don't have to know exactly where it is, you just have to have faith and keep rolling. it's really good for getting fly tying flufty stuff off your sweater and jeans as well.
now--what do you do about that perfect feather perfectly prepared that suddenly just isn't there? if i prepare another feather, the first appears--every time...sox i pin in pairs, children on a field trip i make hold hands in pairs. haven't lost one of those yet.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Nov 20, 2007November 20th, 2007, 10:34 am EST
those sticky rollers that get Muffin's hair off your tuxedo will also lift hooks from short-pile carpet.

An excellent and simple idea, Casey. I been working with some extremely small and costly materials that have a proclivity for finding the carpet. I can't tell you how many I've lost - I think their uncanny disappearance the second I drop them violates some key laws of science, but I have not yet verified this hypothesis empirically. I'm going to try your roller technique first chance I get.

Thanks,
Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply