Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionElba, MN
Specific LocationWhitewater River
Dates FishedFeb 28-March 1
Time of Day11:30-3
Fish CaughtSeveral brown trout with an occasional rainbow.
Conditions & HatchesAir temps just topped 18 with wind factors hovering around 0.
Too cold even for the midges. Will be fishing the Wisconsin winter opener this coming
weekend. Hopefully they show up then, with maybe even a few Baetis!

Details and Discussion

CharlieSawd
St. Michael, Minnesota

CharlieSawd on Mar 2, 2009March 2nd, 2009, 2:09 pm EST
Tying can only get you so far in the deep reaches of winter here. I had meandered down to this area a few times in January and once in early February, and It came time yet again to leave the confines of my bench and initiate the rhythm of a two stroke false cast and a broken water backdrop. Concentrating on slick seams, I weighted a pink squirrel and worked my joints before the bite of the cold decided this would not be possible. With the properly placed cast, the trout were surprisingly cooperative, especially for the short window of time I had spent on the stream. Without wading or moving much, several docile brown trout, seemingly in a state of suspending animation, had decided the the luster of the pink was worthy of consumption if, and only if, it hit them directly in the nose. The shadow cast by ancient bluffs, whom escaped the last ice age from the expanse of the great glaciers, eventually got the best of me, and I had to call it a day. Spring, and the life it again reveals after you swore for the final time that green is just a myth, will be welcomed with open arms here, especially by the trout.

Charlie Sawdey
www.driftlessflybox.com

Quick Reply