Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 22, 2008January 22nd, 2008, 4:18 am EST
Hey, if you missed the first swap and want to give it a try, post here. I'll contact folks with my address in a few weeks and participants can send me their flies. I'll sort and send them so everyone gets some new patterns to look at.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jjlyon01
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse

Jjlyon01 on Jan 22, 2008January 22nd, 2008, 8:16 am EST
I'd really like to get in on something like this after reading all the posts from the last one. Unfortunately, I have very little skill at tying flies at the moment and need to hone my skills. Maybe after a few weeks I will have found a pattern I have mastered and not feel too guilty about swapping with fellows like yourself.
"I now walk into the wild"

Quick Reply