Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Leonardo
Leonardo's profile picture
México, D.F

Leonardo on Jun 26, 2013June 26th, 2013, 9:04 am EDT
Hello everybody!

My name is Leonardo I´m biologist and i work with freshwater isopods of the genus Caecidotea.

Maybe someone already knows me, but my problem is this ...

To publish my research work about this genus i need some specimens from the type locality of Forge Creek Valley, Philadelphia.

I sent mails to many collections of crustaceans but they can not help me.

I hope someone on the forum can give me a little help, would be great.

Greetings from Mexico City!
Leonardo
Leonardo's profile picture
México, D.F

Leonardo on Jul 3, 2013July 3rd, 2013, 9:49 pm EDT
Please help me!!!!!
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 12, 2013July 12th, 2013, 7:55 pm EDT
I don't know if anyone else has responded to Leo, but I collected some cress bugs from a small spring near my home and am sending them. All I could find were very small bugs, less than 5 mm in length. He may need some bigger bugs, so if anyone near one of the larger spring creeks can touch base with him, he has offered to pay postage. He doesn't have to have bugs from Valley Creek, but from any stream in PA. He's having me send the bugs to a colleague at Texas A&M in Galveston who travels to Mexico and who will take the bugs to Leo. Please PM him if it's convenient to send him some other samples. He can PM you the address. His colleague is going to Mexico in about two weeks.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Erika
Erika on Jun 1, 2016June 1st, 2016, 6:57 am EDT
Leonardo: Did you get isopods? I am in Allentown, and could send you some (especially from Cedar Creek, which runs through Allentown). I'd be thrilled if you could help in identifying our local species. . . call it reciprocity! Question though: I thought Caecidotea was in the ponds around here, and our stream species was Lirceus. Does Caecidotea occur in streams as well? Easiest is to email me a response and we can coordinate:
iyengar@muhlenberg.edu
NOTE: Allentown is north of Philadelphia by about 90 minutes.
I could likely get down to the Philly area to collect in the fall--but you'd need to send me GPS information re: Forge Creek Valley, because I don't know where that is.

Erika
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jun 1, 2016June 1st, 2016, 7:33 am EDT
Erika, I'm not sure if you noticed but this thread is 3 years old. If you need your local species identified, I can probably help. I think he meant Valley Creek in Valley Forge. The discussion about the type specimen is in Williams 1970.

Eric

Quick Reply