Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Xavier_Carp has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Xavier_Carp
Xavier_Carp on Dec 13, 2008December 13th, 2008, 3:24 pm EST
Hi guys, this is a stonefly that is very common in our rivers, but no clue of the genus or species, hope you can help me
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Dec 14, 2008December 14th, 2008, 12:28 pm EST
Xavier_Carp,

It looks similar to a stonefly species we have in WA, but I don't believe that genus is distributed beyond the NW coastal region of the US, so have asked Dr. Richard Baumann if he recognizes it. Will post his response when received.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Xavier_Carp
Xavier_Carp on Dec 15, 2008December 15th, 2008, 12:51 am EST
Taxon, thanks alot, I'll wait for the post :)

Best regards

Xavier
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Dec 15, 2008December 15th, 2008, 10:49 am EST
Xavier-

Dr. Baumann's response:

The stonefly nymph is probably a member of the genus Anacroneuria. This is the most common genus in Mexico and Central America. It is in the family Perlidae.

My addition:

There appear to be only two North American species of this genus, and only one of them being present in Mexico (MX):

Anacroneuria lineata (Pickett), 1924) BE, HO, MX, NI, TX
Anacroneuria wipukupa Baumann and Olson, 1984 AZ
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Xavier_Carp
Xavier_Carp on Dec 17, 2008December 17th, 2008, 12:51 am EST
Taxon, thank you very much!! that is great inforamtion

Thanks

xavier

Quick Reply