Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Vandy4
monette arkansas

Vandy4 on Jul 26, 2009July 26th, 2009, 12:30 pm EDT
Just wanted to say hello to everyone. This is my first post since finding this web site. I fish the Little Red, White and Spring Rivers here in Arkansas. We have good fishing here but I plan on branching out and fishing some new water someday. Maybe you guys can point me in a direction. Anyway good website and I hope to have alot of friends here.
Ericd
Mpls, MN

Ericd on Jul 26, 2009July 26th, 2009, 2:50 pm EDT
Welcome Vandy4,
I'm new to the forum myself and as such I have to say that you've found a treasure of a site. My home waters are the Rush and Kinnikinnick in Wisconsin and I'm always looking to branch out. ...home waters would be an interesting topic...without mentioning...those...

eric
Vandy4
monette arkansas

Vandy4 on Jul 27, 2009July 27th, 2009, 1:50 am EDT
Good to meet you Eric.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 27, 2009July 27th, 2009, 5:48 am EDT
Welcome Vandy4. Many of us are from Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, so we can suggest some streams in those states for sure. I hear there are some big fish over your way. Glad to have you on board.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Vandy4
monette arkansas

Vandy4 on Jul 27, 2009July 27th, 2009, 1:03 pm EDT
We do have some big browns in the little red and white river. I guess I am blessed to live here in Arkansas but still I dream of fishing other places.
Aaron7_8
Aaron7_8's profile picture
Helena Montana

Aaron7_8 on Jul 27, 2009July 27th, 2009, 3:33 pm EDT
Sadly there are no big fish streams here in Montana. Please do not believe the pictures, stories, or television shows. They are all a huge conspiracy theory put on by my states tourism board. However, I hear that the huge trout back east are suckers for just about any fly.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 27, 2009July 27th, 2009, 5:01 pm EDT
Yeah, right.

--Fred Chappell
Vandy4
monette arkansas

Vandy4 on Jul 28, 2009July 28th, 2009, 1:32 am EDT
Yeah they will take most anything except ones tied from montana.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 28, 2009July 28th, 2009, 4:02 am EDT
Just had to poke a little fun, Aaron. Tit for tat as they say across the pond. :)

--Fred Chappell
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jul 29, 2009July 29th, 2009, 12:33 pm EDT
Welcome to all. There are some great people on this site--very kind and free with their knowledge.
Bruce
Aaron7_8
Aaron7_8's profile picture
Helena Montana

Aaron7_8 on Jul 30, 2009July 30th, 2009, 2:45 pm EDT
Vandy4 thank you for pointing out another flaw with MT. the horrible flies for sale here. They are as big as terridactyls and scare any send any self-respecting fish swimming for the nearest logjam.
MsMidge
Mountain Home, Ar

MsMidge on Aug 13, 2009August 13th, 2009, 1:06 am EDT
Morning, Another "Arkie" here reading your Forum. I fish the Little Red and the White & Norfork Rivers here also. Getting ready for some of our best fishing here as far as I am concerned. Enjoy reading your Forum, MsMidge
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 13, 2009August 13th, 2009, 2:49 am EDT
Welcome, MsMidge. Glad to have you reading and posting.

--Fred Chappell
Patcrisci
Lagrangeville, NY

Patcrisci on Aug 13, 2009August 13th, 2009, 12:53 pm EDT
Welcome,welcome, wherever you hail from. Our fishing is diverse as this great wide, wonderful world, yet we all share a common love of fly fishing. I have never fished in Arkansas myself. In fact outside of the east coast of the continental USA, where I have fished extensively, I've only been out to Yellowstone. Look forward to swapping some good yarns and practical fishing stuff too.
Pat Crisci
MsMidge
Mountain Home, Ar

MsMidge on Aug 14, 2009August 14th, 2009, 4:59 am EDT
Thank you all for the welcome, for those of you who have not fished our waters, you might want to take a look at our Forum once in a while. www.flyfisharkansas.com. We have alot of wonderful Flyfishers here. I have only been flyfishing 4 yrs and just learning to tie, have a great teacher in Davy Wooten as far as my casting, he says that I am a lost cause, LOL Just tryng to learn as much as I can

Quick Reply