Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flybyknight
Milton, DE

Flybyknight on Nov 24, 2007November 24th, 2007, 2:15 pm EST
There are 3 great loves in my life (after my spouse) which are trout fishing in the spring, sailing (big boat) in the summer, and grouse hunting in the fall.
I believe that somewhere along the shores of Lake Superior there is a place where I could put my camper that would be central to all (3) venues.
Would anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
Dano
Vanderbilt, Michigan

Dano on Nov 25, 2007November 25th, 2007, 5:25 am EST
Deer Park; 'bout 1 mile east is Muskallonge State Park (Luce County) which puts you within 5 miles or so of Two Hearted River (Hemmingway country)....All three venues will be beyond your expectations.

Dano

Eventually, all things merge into one...and a river runs through it.
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Nov 26, 2007November 26th, 2007, 7:32 am EST
trout fishing, sailing, and (snow) skiing here... I am thinking Burlington, VT? There must be some grouse up there?
I am haunted by waters
Dano
Vanderbilt, Michigan

Dano on Nov 26, 2007November 26th, 2007, 12:05 pm EST
I am thinking Burlington, VT? There must be some grouse up there?

I'm bettin' there would be....Last time I checked, though, Lake Superior doesn't go that far east.....

Dano

Eventually, all things merge into one...and a river runs through it.
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Nov 27, 2007November 27th, 2007, 6:00 am EST
Ha thats true... but Lake Champlain does.
I am haunted by waters
Flybyknight
Milton, DE

Flybyknight on Nov 27, 2007November 27th, 2007, 8:41 am EST
Lake Champlain! now I hadn't thought of that. Boat draws 4 feet. I think that I'll order charts of the lake.
Isn't the Battenkill within a few hours drive?
Please accept my sincere gratitude for the benefit of your insight.
Cheers,
Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Nov 27, 2007November 27th, 2007, 9:00 am EST
my wife's brother bought his boat up there, it is a 38 ft Cook that draws 7 ft I think? does that sound right? He took it down through the canals, to the Hudson River, through Harlem River, Hell's Gate and out to Long Island Sound, where he keeps it.

I believe most of the well known VT trout streams are 1+ hours south of Burlington: http://caddis.middlebury.edu/Trout/VTrivers/index.html

I have only fished the Green River-- very pastoral, flows through farmland, full of small but aggressive rainbows. Great jumpers.
I am haunted by waters

Quick Reply