Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached these 4 pictures. The message is below.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jun 3, 2017June 3rd, 2017, 7:50 am EDT
Tim.

This isn't a #16 or smaller. I have a bunch but am lazy and don't have the motivation to take a picture of one. This will give you the idea though.

One is a Red Quill #14 and the other is a #14 Hendrickson. It is just as easy to tie a #16 - #20. It takes some practice to get the proportions right and educate your fingers on size #22.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
TimCat
TimCat's profile picture
Alanson, MI

TimCat on Jun 3, 2017June 3rd, 2017, 8:08 am EDT
Beauties! I don't have any CDC feathers at the moment, but do you think snowshoe hare could work? I've tied some bwo spinners with snowshoe hair in 18, but never tried to get that fanned wing with them.

Nice looking flies Wbranch

Edit: I just saw your response on the other post. Thanks for the tips. Never thought about using Z-lon for wings. Nice
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless
David82nd
David82nd's profile picture
Upstate,New York

David82nd on Jun 3, 2017June 3rd, 2017, 9:23 am EDT
Very nice , I think I'll tie some up tonight ,
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Jun 7, 2017June 7th, 2017, 7:37 am EDT
Matt,

REALLY nice ties, may I ask what dubbing or blend you're using for each one? I recall a thread some years back re; rabbit dubbing and all and you said you preferred beaver? to other furs. Anyway, something to shoot for in the fly quality department, the bar is pretty high here!

Making the shift to late pm on the river, temps headed to high 80's and pushing 90 for the next week or so...Iso's are starting to pop and I'll be staying until near dark and sketchy wading demands coming in. The river reports say we're at late July water levels and flows around here, pretty dry.

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jun 8, 2017June 8th, 2017, 11:57 am EDT
Matt I have a fly I used this week that looks very similar to yours except mine has elk hair for tail and wing and sort of a palmered hackle brown and grizzly. I'm trying to post pics but new phone and I'm struggling with this thing. This fly was on fire Tuesday, I had a huge brown on for a short time before the hook pulled free, but still cool as the fish came out of nowhere and was noseing the fly along before gently sipping it in at just a little over a rod length away. Boy gently changed in a big hurry, I still managed quite a few good fish for this river on this fly. I will try and get this posted as I would like a id.

Thanks,Mike.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jun 9, 2017June 9th, 2017, 9:44 am EDT
Thanks to a friend at work with a good book we got it, its a stimulator.
TimCat
TimCat's profile picture
Alanson, MI

TimCat on Jun 9, 2017June 9th, 2017, 4:29 pm EDT
Hey Partsman although I don't think they look very similar, I've used stimulators when I lost my last hopper last year and I'm pretty sure they work as a great substitute FYI.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless

Quick Reply