Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Female Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mongaup Creek in New York
This little early-season dun molted into this spinner after I photographed her.
DarkDun
DarkDun on Jan 16, 2007January 16th, 2007, 6:28 am EST
Hook:#20
Thread: Deep Brown 8/0
Wings: Dark Dun
Tails: Dark Dun Split
Abdomen: Stripped Dark brown hackle
Thorax:Rusty Brown Dubbing
Legs: Light Brown or Cree hackle tied sparse

Does this sound good? Would like to here some comments about successful paterns
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jan 16, 2007January 16th, 2007, 10:36 am EST
Looks pretty good. I'm not sure I would use rusty brown dubbing, though -- maybe mix about 2/3 rusty brown, 1/3 medium gray/dun. It'll look a bit too light and get darker in the water.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jan 16, 2007January 16th, 2007, 10:36 am EST
Looks pretty good. I'm not sure I would use rusty brown dubbing, though -- maybe mix about 2/3 rusty brown, 1/3 medium gray/dun. It'll look a bit too light and get darker in the water.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 16, 2007January 16th, 2007, 11:37 am EST
Take a look at Fly-Fishing Pressured Water, by Lloyd Gonzales, aka Gonzo. I've been tying his patterns, trying all the mayfly styles that seem appropriate for baetis.

Here is another, Rs2 style emerger I like, but I sometimes use a biot for the body. I like the tail sparse to imitate the shuck. This works as a wet fly also.

Hook- Tiemco 921 16-20. Measure this short hook to get the right size for the fly.
Tail-dun CDC or aftershaft feathers. Tie in a
Clump 3/4 as long as the hook shank and secure it at the
Bend of the hook. Wind the thread forward to form a thin tapered body.
Tie in a clump of stripped CDC or aftershaft feather to form the
Wing Sprouts. Or use CDC tips. The wing should be 1/2 the length of the hook shank. You can tie in longer and trim. Whip finish.

adapted from: Little Lehigh Flyshop

scroll down a bit to find the original pattern
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply