Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Onthefly11
Los Angeles

Onthefly11 on Sep 6, 2020September 6th, 2020, 4:16 am EDT
Hi everyone. I bought a 4wt 11’ Redington trout spey that I want to use primarily for fishing streamers in alpine lakes and I was wondering if the resident Spey experts could provide some insight about the ideal Skagit line set up for this rod. I was thinking a Redington Behemoth 5/6 reel with an integrated 275g Skagit head and 10’ tip that is 5’ intermediate sink and 5’ full sink, but wasn’t sure if the rod had enough back bone to turn this weight over. Thanks!
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 6, 2020September 6th, 2020, 2:51 pm EDT
Wish I could help you, but I can't. You can see what responses you get, but I'm thinking you'll get more help contacting some of the shops that specialize in Spey. You might try the Fly Fishing Shop in Welches Oregon (Google will get you there.) Mark might have some ideas, though he may not be familiar with that rod specifically.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Sep 6, 2020September 6th, 2020, 11:52 pm EDT
Van,

For what its worth- checking the Rio line selector specs for older rods shows that the Prospector has a grain window of 275-325 gr for a Skagit setup, with the lighter side recommended for more experienced casters and heavier head for novices- or those simply favoring a heavier head to load the rod to suit their casting style. It sounds like you intend to use a MOW tip on this setup so I'd suggest calculating the weight of the head as well, see how this factors in. A 275 gr line is the low end of the range so additional tip weight may not be too much for this particular rod.

Martin's advice on asking a shop for their input is spot-on, it's always best to ask those who have in depth knowledge. Casting preferences and style, slow or fast stroke on a cast, rod specifics ('full flex, tippy, a fast rod vs a slower loading one, etc) all play a part...and see if you can test-cast some lines to try and dial-in one that suits your particular rod and casting style if at all possible.

Tight lines, and sometimes it takes 2 hands...

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Onthefly11
Los Angeles

Onthefly11 on Sep 7, 2020September 7th, 2020, 1:54 pm EDT
Thanks for the replies!!

Quick Reply