Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jul 30, 2020July 30th, 2020, 9:13 am EDT
Well, I have been bitten hard by the white winged curse, Tricos are driving me crazy! I get up at 2:30 am and make the two and half drive to my favorite river, then get to my favorite spot and wait. It has been a wonderful season as far as fish caught, although all of the circumstances of this year have really sucked. But god help me I love this trico fishing, and then the olives that come a little later. Fish rising, and the sky just above my head filled with little white winged devils! Im a work in progress on this fishing, but this is so cool and I think what dry fly fishing is all about. I caught some huge fish early this summer at night, and that was fun, but this is better. I just need to figure out the right pattern, which Im working on. I hope all of you flyfishers are finding some joy in these trying times! And if I can lend a hand let me know, because at 63 years young Im just a rookie at this to!
Mike.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 30, 2020July 30th, 2020, 12:29 pm EDT
Talk to Louis. He ties a reverse Trico spinner that he does well with. I enjoy Tricos but can't see the fly. I tie a #18 Adams parachute to a long 6X tippet and then add another 2" of 6X to which I tie the Trico. When the Adams is pulled under I know a trout ate the Trico. I often have success with a sunken spinner. Just add a tiny black bead to the hook before tying a standard spinner.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Afishinado
SE PA

Afishinado on Jul 31, 2020July 31st, 2020, 12:02 am EDT
Well, I have been bitten hard by the white winged curse, Tricos are driving me crazy! I get up at 2:30 am and make the two and half drive to my favorite river, then get to my favorite spot and wait. It has been a wonderful season as far as fish caught, although all of the circumstances of this year have really sucked. But god help me I love this trico fishing, and then the olives that come a little later. Fish rising, and the sky just above my head filled with little white winged devils! Im a work in progress on this fishing, but this is so cool and I think what dry fly fishing is all about. I caught some huge fish early this summer at night, and that was fun, but this is better. I just need to figure out the right pattern, which Im working on. I hope all of you flyfishers are finding some joy in these trying times! And if I can lend a hand let me know, because at 63 years young Im just a rookie at this to!
Mike.

Al Miller's Trico pattern is easy to tie and very effective for imitating Trico spinners > https://midcurrent.com/videos/tying-the-als-trico/
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 31, 2020July 31st, 2020, 5:59 am EDT
Mike, there are some Trico threads I'll bump up. My favorite spinner is a reverse parachute. I tie some with colored posts for glare, etc. Black is good in severe glare, and a Puglisi fiber fire red post can be seen from afar. I've had pressured wild fish eat it plenty of times. Try Tiemco 2488's for gap, or Varivas midge hooks. Al Miller's pattern is the bomb too. My spinner was inspired by it.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Brian314
Fenton, MI.

Brian314 on Sep 26, 2020September 26th, 2020, 8:58 am EDT
In 2018 I fished size 20 Renegades during trico mornings in the fall - only caught small brookies (my ususal ... LOL) but they were hitting on 'em.

Quick Reply