Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

WildBrownie
MD

WildBrownie on Sep 9, 2019September 9th, 2019, 7:37 am EDT
Hi all, my name is Pat and I am doing research into improving the fly fishing marketplace. If you could answer the questions below I would greatly appreciate your input! Feel free to message me your responses if you would prefer. There are no right or wrong answers. I'm purely looking to hear your feelings and thoughts about your experience purchasing fly-fishing guide services.

Background Info: Okay, so to start us off, can you tell me a little about yourself....How old are you? What region do you live in? How often do you fish?

Question #1: Tell me about the last time you purchased fly-fishing guide services...

Question #2: What tools or services did you use to evaluate the guide before purchasing their services?

Question #3: Did you experience any problems in the purchase process?

Question #4: What could be done to improve the purchase process?

Thanks for the consideration. I look forward to hearing about your experiences!
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Sep 9, 2019September 9th, 2019, 7:51 am EDT
I'm an older gentleman. When I started to fly fish it was either with fiberglass or cane. There was no such thing as "breathable waders". I live in SE PA. I fish between 80 & 100 days a year.

Question #1: Tell me about the last time you purchased fly-fishing guide services

Answer #1 Hmm, my memory is not good enough to look back that far. I think 1987. Salt water doesn't count because when you go to a lodge a guide is included and the only way to reach a flat.

Question #2: What tools or services did you use to evaluate the guide before purchasing their services? -

Answer #2 Writing a letter, calling on the phone. No computer back then.

Question #3: Did you experience any problems in the purchase process?

Answer #3 No, but many guides think they know a lot and think clients don't know anything.

Question #4: What could be done to improve the purchase process?

Answer #4 This question doesn't make much sense to me. When an angler decides to book a trip with either an outfitter of a fishing lodge or an independent guide the prospective client will typically do some research and call the outfitter or independent and discuss when might be best, where to meet, and what the cost of the guided trip will be. I don't see what could be done to "improve the purchase process".

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
WildBrownie
MD

WildBrownie on Sep 9, 2019September 9th, 2019, 8:05 am EDT
Thanks for your input!

Quick Reply