Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

CaseyP has attached this picture. The message is below.
Brown trout, East Antietam Creek, 2006
hot day, very low water, black hair cricket
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Feb 23, 2007February 23rd, 2007, 10:15 am EST
the photos on this forum are really neat, so there is a wealth of experience to answer my question:

how do you get the fish to lie so still next the reel on the grass or on the rocks? it's a wonderfully effective pose.

i have to snap mine in the MeasureNet because otherwise they are away like greased lightening. even then all too many photos are ruined when the fish wiggles, like this prize.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra

Quick Reply

Troutnut.com is copyright © 2004-2024 (email Jason). privacy policy