Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

BobbyHead
Tampa, Florida

BobbyHead on Jul 25, 2018July 25th, 2018, 12:33 am EDT
Newbie here. I'm glad to have found this great online fly fishing community. I joined up in the hopes of learning a thing or two from the more experienced members here. Whenever I'm taking a break from this particular interest, I'm usually found at home, watching my Pomeranian relax in one of his dog beds and watching TV with the wife and kids. Such a simple, yet, happy life. Cheers, fellas!
Flyguide1
Flyguide1's profile picture
East Tn

Flyguide1 on Jul 25, 2018July 25th, 2018, 3:37 am EDT
I am also new here but hello from east tn!
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 25, 2018July 25th, 2018, 3:44 am EDT
Greetings to all "newbies", welcome! We like fish pics, as you can see from some of the latest posts. Feel free to show off your fishing exploits to us, especially if it involves travel. And tight lines!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 25, 2018July 25th, 2018, 12:54 pm EDT
Hello Bobby,

Welcome to Troutnut.com there are some very learned formal entomologists who frequent this forum. Besides the real bug guys there are a bunch of not so formal bug guys who probably have enough fly fishing knowledge to get you very well informed. I have been fly fishing for fifty-five (55) years and am still learning various nuances of the game. I'm quite sure all of the formal bug guys also enjoy fly fishing too.

So if you have any questions you can just post them publicly or shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to answer it.

Matt
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 27, 2018July 27th, 2018, 7:42 am EDT
Welcome!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
BobbyHead
Tampa, Florida

BobbyHead on Jul 29, 2018July 29th, 2018, 10:46 pm EDT
Thank you very much, everyone! Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Quick Reply